Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 2:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you attend religious rituals for your family?
Do you attend religious rituals for your family?
We have a nephew getting confirmed this weekend and I'm not going. We will be attending the party afterwards, but it frosts me to give the kid a gift when all he's done is attend religious indoctrination classes and participate in a superstitious ritual. Yeah, a real accomplishment there!

I'm curious what other atheists do when a family member is having a baptism, first communion, confirmation, etc...

Do you go to the ceremony? Send a gift? Ignore the whole thing?
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
RE: Do you attend religious rituals for your family?
Well at the moment I'm still young and therefore have no choice. However, in the future I presume I'll just ignore the whole thing. I don't want to support or condone the behavior, but I'm not going to blow the party up either.
Well almost my entire family are atheists. My home town is loaded with atheists. Religion is very weak here.
But if I was invited to a religious thing I would turn up but will refuse to sing any shit. I'll stand up but don't expect me to touch or sing anything I consider BS.
The last time I witnessed delusion was at a funeral. My nan is religious and arranged a priesty to have religious singing involved. I just stood there and made a few funny faces to make my little sis laugh. Took a quick blimps of some kind of book that was filled with shite and dropped it on the floor. I didn't think it was worthy to be anywhere else (apart from the bin). Tongue
Just entertaining my self by mocking religion.Big Grin
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(April 8, 2010 at 12:24 pm)Disinter Wrote: I don't want to support or condone the behavior, but I'm not going to blow the party up either.

This is pretty much my attitude.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
Never.
I'd have to say never too. As an atheist I think I'd be insulted if I felt my known stance was being compromised. Of course religious people use the guilt trip for positive efect (in their eyes). That still doesn't make it ok or reason for you not to take offence or retaliate as you see fit.
I do attend weddings, religious or secular, if I am friends with at least one of them or if it is a family member getting married. I just let the religious part slide mostly. I make sure I don't disrupt the ceremony and wait for the cake.

I don't attend baptisms, communions, or confirmations.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I'll do it if there's free food at the end.

Ain't nothing better than a free lunch.
(April 8, 2010 at 12:25 pm)Ace Wrote: Well almost my entire family are atheists. My home town is loaded with atheists. Religion is very weak here.

Sounds like you live in paradise!

Quote:But if I was invited to a religious thing I would turn up but will refuse to sing any shit. I'll stand up but don't expect me to touch or sing anything I consider BS.
The last time I witnessed delusion was at a funeral. My nan is religious and arranged a priesty to have religious singing involved. I just stood there and made a few funny faces to make my little sis laugh. Took a quick blimps of some kind of book that was filled with shite and dropped it on the floor. I didn't think it was worthy to be anywhere else (apart from the bin). Tongue
Just entertaining my self by mocking religion.Big Grin

I know what you mean. I've been to several funerals that were held in a church and mass was conducted as part of the ceremony. I can't stand the constant stand... sit... stand... sit.... etc... I'll stand and sit (although I always make it a point to be THE LAST person to stand) but I absolutely refuse to kneel. Nor do I participate when the sheep go up to get their cracker.

One funeral I attended had the priest telling us some bullshit about how we had to pray for the deceased because "God" would hear the prayers and this would help the deceased to get into heaven! Oh, did I have to bite my tongue! I wanted to ask this dipshit how he could possibly know something like this for a FACT. And speaking of dipshits.... another time I was at a wedding that included a mass as part of the service. At one point, the priest tells us that this mass "doesn't count" toward the weekly worship obligation. He then said, "So I expect to see all of you here tomorrow!" I wanted to yell out, "Ya won't be seeing me, asshole!" I wondered why the mass at the wedding "didn't count" for the weekly worship obligation, until I realized that you can't pass the plate at a wedding! It's all about money, isn't it?

They drag me there sometimes, but this Easter, they overslept, and chose not to.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wash your hands or do not wash your hands when you eat Ferrocyanide 48 3259 October 19, 2021 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Invent your own saint, prophet, or religious equivalent The Valkyrie 32 3744 July 1, 2018 at 9:00 am
Last Post: oldpollock
  Your responses to religious people on FB Foxaèr 4 1189 August 16, 2016 at 5:41 am
Last Post: Gemini
  Loving God More Than Your Family & Spouse miaharun 61 10592 November 19, 2015 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  the missing link to God's family JBrentonK 166 33957 November 6, 2015 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: jenny1972
  How flexible is your religious morality? robvalue 24 7391 August 12, 2015 at 6:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Religious theists: question about your morality robvalue 24 4970 April 5, 2015 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: Polaris
Question I need major help with my Christian Family coolfunkDJ 145 27182 February 14, 2015 at 4:11 pm
Last Post: emilynghiem
  Dealing with your religious family. 5thHorseman 22 6919 February 9, 2015 at 6:45 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  The less you attend church the more likly you are willing to support douch baggery Drich 108 28528 December 25, 2014 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Esquilax