Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 6:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Songs of Praise
Songs of Praise
Here I sit watching Songs of Praise (sic) and the one theme that constantly runs through the whole programme and with all the people who are interviewed is that of worship, praise, glorification, humility and groveling for forgiveness.

It really makes me feel uneasy and actually makes me cringe when I hear people talking like this. What kind of God demands that his followers worship and praise him for all eternity? I mean, what sort of ego would you have to have?

Also, why must people beg for their sins to be forgiven when presumably this same God created them exactly as they are and knew full well what they would be even before they existed and yet still went on to bring them into existence. How is this their fault and why should they apologise for being human?

The idea of a loving God who only wants the best for you is fine, it's just the rest of the baggage that seems to want to turn people into submissive worms that I can't understand.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Songs of Praise
(November 15, 2009 at 1:36 pm)Darwinian Wrote: Here I sit watching Songs of Praise (sic) and the one theme that constantly runs through the whole programme and with all the people who are interviewed is that of worship, praise, glorification, humility and groveling for forgiveness.

It really makes me feel uneasy and actually makes me cringe when I hear people talking like this. What kind of God demands that his followers worship and praise him for all eternity? I mean, what sort of ego would you have to have?

Also, why must people beg for their sins to be forgiven when presumably this same God created them exactly as they are and knew full well what they would be even before they existed and yet still went on to bring them into existence. How is this their fault and why should they apologise for being human?

The idea of a loving God who only wants the best for you is fine, it's just the rest of the baggage that seems to want to turn people into submissive worms that I can't understand.

I cannot understand this desire to worship, even if you believe.
If God was a fact. (something I have confidence is not true).
I would still not feel the need to worship it would just be another interesting fact.

To misquote Groucho Marx 'I would not worship any God that would have me as a worshipper'

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Or, in other words...

[youtube]86jPMbhiS_0[/youtube]

[youtube]dD7Ijkmenrs[/youtube]
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
(November 15, 2009 at 1:44 pm)Darwinian Wrote:

Say it with Monty Python.

So you think your ego etc is of paramount importance? You'd never consider yourself humble or insignificant in the grand scheme of things?

I must admit one reason I first went to church was to get away from Songs of Praise. Yeah it can be cringeworthy but I let people get off on it if it floats their boat. Not doing me any harm.
(November 15, 2009 at 6:11 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: So you think your ego etc is of paramount importance? You'd never consider yourself humble or insignificant in the grand scheme of things?

I must admit one reason I first went to church was to get away from Songs of Praise. Yeah it can be cringeworthy but I let people get off on it if it floats their boat. Not doing me any harm.

No my ego is not of paramount importance and neither would Gods be if he/she existed.

If God did exist and I had proof, (can't for the life of me think what that would be but anyway), then I still would not feel the need to worship.

It seems a waste of time to me.

If God made the world good on him, but basically so what. It would be like worshipping gravity.

fr0d0 Wrote:I must admit one reason I first went to church was to get away from Songs of Praise. Yeah it can be cringeworthy but I let people get off on it if it floats their boat. Not doing me any harm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8rKu7AskCs

Dedicated to frOdO Tongue
Spinoza Wrote:God is the Asylum of Ignorance
Indeed. Gravity is a good comparison. It just 'is'. Indeed you can't think of anything that would constitute proof. No one can.

You wouldn't be satisfying God's 'ego' but be being unselfish. Unselfishness is a waste of time?
(November 16, 2009 at 5:15 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Indeed. Gravity is a good comparison. It just 'is'. Indeed you can't think of anything that would constitute proof. No one can.

You wouldn't be satisfying God's 'ego' but be being unselfish. Unselfishness is a waste of time?

If no one can even put forward anything that might constitute proof then why do you believe?
This may seem a silly question but it is genuine. I simply cannot see how any intelligent chap such as yourself can believe in something that you cant even think of a way to prove. And then to worship this thing that no one can prove seems the height of folly to me.

You see worship as unselfish act eh. But I but you feel good for having done it or even while you are doing it. So how is it an unselfish act to undertake an activity that makes you feel good.

It's quite the opposite - the reasoning for God requires that there be no proof. Belief requires intelligence because what use is intelligence when working out the blatantly obvious? ..none. No intelligence is needed to work out what we already know. Intelligence is needed to work out what we don't know.

Belief necessitates faith. No one can know if God is real. The practice of faith is life giving.

Doing something selfless is accepted to make you feel good. It may also hurt. It's life giving. Selfishness is life destroying. It's putting your own needs at the forefront despite the needs of others.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anti-Religon Songs ScienceAf 10 2914 July 18, 2017 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: ScienceAf