Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 12:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The nature of God
The nature of God
I've started this thread to discuss the nature of a God that would be inline

with the universe that we see around us.

While we can without a great deal of intellectual effort disprove

the existence of God in the traditional sense, i.e Yahweh, Allah, Zues etc,etc.

It is impossible to disprove the existence of an overlying(or underlying) purpose

to the universe which could be construed as God.

Now whilst I make no claim that this is in fact the case, I think it would be an

interesting intellectual exercise to explore the nature of such a being.

Please, proceed........
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
RE: The nature of God
There is a totality of ever function and system that makes up the fantastic adventure that is human life. This totality is named "god", in the same sense that a rock is named "rock". God is just a name, in a vain effort to describe something far too big. We refer to this god in our daily lives if only to give us strength and smarts, to make good choices and most importantly to be humble towards.

To the average atheist I would ask 'when you are feeling thankful, what/who do you thank'?

Some of us theists get called crazy, and tied to other peoples failings as if the belief in God was the precursor. But we are like you, trying to do the best with what we have.

There's a start.

mmmmmmmmmm theology.
You have just called your ignorance God pippy - not only that, but your definition of God is so ambiguous it could literally mean anything, it has absolutely no meaning or attributes other than to say "this is my carte blanche and I'm going to use it to describe everything in advance" - It's a complete cop-out.

As for who I thank when I'm feeling thankful - I don't thank anyone/anything unless there is someone directly involved, in which case i thank them.

If I have some good luck or achieve something i don't thank an external power, I recognise chance for what it is, fully aware of the certain statistical normality or negativity that will eventually arise from it.

If it is something i have achieved on my own i only recognise my own achievements, i will not cheapen what i have accomplished by putting it down to external help.
But like it or not VOID, that is what God is. You might want to fight your way out of your paper bag but I continue to look on in bemusement. No justification from realism cuts through the bullshit you weave, because the theist perspective is equally realist.
The nature of god cannot be known in my view since he himself has not made it known. All of the so called attributes of god that Christians and theists claim to know about god comes from the bible which honestly is nothing more than some ancient peoples speculations as to who or what god is. It is not divinely inspired in any way shape or form and is purely subjective and open to the interpretation of the reader.

I agree with the void regarding thanking myself or whomever deserves such merit in certain situations and circumstances that may influence my life in a positive way. I don't thank god for anything since in my mind he does not and cannot exist.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

I would say God loves irony.
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
(January 13, 2010 at 3:50 pm)chatpilot Wrote: The nature of god cannot be known in my view since he himself has not made it known.

The attributes of the Christian God are entirely made know through the bible. So to say he hasn't made it known is self contradictory. Either you call the biblical God 'God' or you call something not described in the bible 'God'.
(January 13, 2010 at 3:23 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: But like it or not VOID, that is what God is. You might want to fight your way out of your paper bag but I continue to look on in bemusement. No justification from realism cuts through the bullshit you weave, because the theist perspective is equally realist.

If it's not specifically an eternal intelligent designer then I see no reason to call it God.

If your position is just as real as mine then why can you not demonstrate the truth of your claims? You are the one here who is set on the cause of the universe yet you have absolutely nothing to support your conclusion other than what occurs in your own mind and on the pages of ancient books.
(January 13, 2010 at 6:32 pm)fr0d0 Wrote:
(January 13, 2010 at 3:50 pm)chatpilot Wrote: The nature of god cannot be known in my view since he himself has not made it known.

The attributes of the Christian God are entirely made know through the bible. So to say he hasn't made it known is self contradictory. Either you call the biblical God 'God' or you call something not described in the bible 'God'.

All the bible gives us is what a lose collection of ancient people thought was god, even assuming he does exist, there is nothing to discern the accuracy of the Bible as being more representative of what this god's nature might be compared to any other religious texts or fable.
fr0d0 said:"The attributes of the Christian God are entirely made know through the bible."

More like made up by the men who wrote the bible would be a more accurate statement fr0d0, remember atheists in general do not accept the so called divine inspiration of the bible as fact. We can't accept the bible as fact because that takes faith and that is something that as atheists we just don't have.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

Kiddies, can we get back to the original point of this thread.

Since we can safely dismiss the God of the Bible as being incompatible

With the observed universe, what would be the nature of a God that is?

For instance, Would it(since God has no gender) be an emergent property

of the universe?
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Watching my cat, thinking about god and human nature Foxaèr 68 15677 July 19, 2017 at 12:13 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Nature's reasoning for religion... maestroanth 4 1504 May 20, 2016 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  About sinful nature, sexual pleasures? Coreni 20 4908 June 26, 2015 at 9:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19827 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  The law of nature. shesadri 2 1248 June 21, 2012 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: shesadri
  Hurricane Katrina, Mother nature or Wrath of God? L4EV 34 14941 May 29, 2012 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Creed of Heresy
  Are theists by nature simply insecure? Darwinian 43 17447 August 25, 2009 at 4:35 am
Last Post: theVOID