Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 10:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Commando 2009
Commando 2009
I came home from a friend's home (possibly soon to be my home?) today... and find out that my sister is going to be partaking in a church activity called 'Commando (2009)'. I know that the picture is of low quality, so to quote it:

Nate Wrote:Commando

Sunday, November 22rd
4:30pm-7:30pm
at the church

We need your help to deliver Thanksgiving dinners to families in need.
Come dressed in fatigues or dark colors.
Come prepared to have a great time serving God by serving others.

Diner and hot chocolate will be provided after you make all your deliveries.

Questions??
Call Nate <censored number for privacy's sake>

I hope you are aware that this is very dangerous (Many people here have guns, and this is being done in a rural area, which has much experience with bears and burglars, and is usually equipped to deal with them).

I think it is an interesting example of what religion can do... organize an amazingly unnecessary and dangerous event... simply because it is a 'fun' way to do God's work...? Undecided I tried to convince my sister (and also parents) of the stupidity and dangerousness of doing this... and although they all told me they agreed it was dangerous... my sister is still going? Huh /facepalm.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
RE: Commando 2009
Fascinating. But this is not unexpected. You do realize that your sister could be, in the form of rebellion against authority, choosing to go partially because you and others have pointed out the futility or risks of such actions. I also suppose that the promise of 'being right' might also play a role here.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, you play Rockband or something? Cause I see a drumset.
Quote: and although they all told me they agreed it was dangerous... my sister is still going? Huh /facepalm.

I'm not surprised. The idea of martrtdom (evolution in action) has remained attractive to many Christians. I suspect some come to atheist forums so they will be abused and get to feel all persecuted and REALLY saved.

--just think satisfied everyone [except you] will be if one of those sanctimonious morons becomes injured or deaded 'doing god's work'. (No offence; I understand you aren't responsible for the stupidity of your family) )
(November 22, 2009 at 8:55 pm)Synackaon Wrote: Fascinating. But this is not unexpected. You do realize that your sister could be, in the form of rebellion against authority, choosing to go partially because you and others have pointed out the futility or risks of such actions. I also suppose that the promise of 'being right' might also play a role here.

EDIT: On an unrelated note, you play Rockband or something? Cause I see a drumset.

Well, my parents weren't pointing it out to her, and she chose to go before I got back after a long (and so peaceful) weekend away... so I don't think that it has anything to do with it. The only reason she stated that she was going was "It'll be fun"... but I made certain that she was aware of the risks before going.

I'm not so sure that being shot at constitutes 'fun'... (and yes, I do play Rockband 2... my second guitar has acquired so much dust... Tongue)

padriac Wrote:'m not surprised. The idea of martrtdom (evolution in action) has remained attractive to many Christians. I suspect some come to atheist forums so they will be abused and get to feel all persecuted and REALLY saved.

--just think satisfied everyone [except you] will be if one of those sanctimonious morons becomes injured or deaded 'doing god's work'. (No offence; I understand you aren't responsible for the stupidity of your family)
I don't think that it has anything to do with martyrdom... I think it just has to do with not taking the probable risks seriously enough, 'just for fun' engaging in dangerous activity to accomplish something that could be more easily (and personably) achieved in a safe and responsible manner (giving poor people food), and thinking it will be safe because of faith in Big Brother.

I wouldn't exclude me from that satisfaction... I think it might just take some heartfelt bloodshed to get some sense in the heads of this community... but I understand that they would find a way to justify the bloodshed in some twisted barbaric way. Undecided Although I am not responsible for the stupidity of those around me... I hold myself responsible to making sure they know what they are doing Undecided
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(November 22, 2009 at 9:18 pm)padraic Wrote: I'm not surprised. The idea of martyrdom (evolution in action) has remained attractive to many Christians. I suspect some come to atheist forums so they will be abused and get to feel all persecuted and REALLY saved.

Yes, I have long felt that, too. The more bricks bounce off their heads, the holier they get, the smugger they feel and the more they writhe and squirm in masochistic ecstasy. Cool Shades
Only sheep need a shepherd.
I thought this thread would be about not wearing pants!

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Sae,

When engaging in, "The Lord's Work." Christians feel protected by God. I know because I've done a few "dangerous" things while I was part of church and I was convinced that I was protected. What this means is that your sister will wholeheartedly ignore your very sane reservations about her actions because she KNOWS God will protect her from harm much like you KNOW your bed will uphold your weight or even something you believe more than that! Also, even if you convinced her that she WILL die, she might recall a certain verse about living is Christ and to die is gain.

That being said, there will probably be no harm to any of the Commandos because nobody wants to clean freshly shot humans from their neighborhood without having a good reason to shoot them.

Rhizo
(November 23, 2009 at 1:12 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: Sae,

When engaging in, "The Lord's Work." Christians feel protected by God. I know because I've done a few "dangerous" things while I was part of church and I was convinced that I was protected. What this means is that your sister will wholeheartedly ignore your very sane reservations about her actions because she KNOWS God will protect her from harm much like you KNOW your bed will uphold your weight or even something you believe more than that! Also, even if you convinced her that she WILL die, she might recall a certain verse about living is Christ and to die is gain.

That being said, there will probably be no harm to any of the Commandos because nobody wants to clean freshly shot humans from their neighborhood without having a good reason to shoot them.

Rhizo

They might think they were jehovahs witnesses!!

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Wait Wait!! Hold the presses!

Is that a pic of you Sae? You're a dude?

(Dotard runs into the shower and begins scrubbing knowing he will never ever feel 'clean' again.) Sad
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
Dotard,

We aren't supposed to say that kind of stuff out loud. The Male tone of her posts and her obvious interest in transgenderism should have been a clue. I've suspected for a while now but the pics clinch it.

Rhizo

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Blasphemy Day International 2009 moodydaniel 0 1600 March 4, 2009 at 11:15 am
Last Post: moodydaniel