Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 3:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attack or retreat?
Attack or retreat?
Here is a question that's been bugging me a bit. As atheists, do we confront people with our views to try and make them see the truth or sit back and say nothing?

I know that some people needs something to believe in. It doesn't matter what anyone say but converting from Christian to atheist isn't easy. For me it opened a void and caused many sleepness nights. Its not easy and I'm not sure if all people would be able to cope. It would for example, be wrong to say to someone on their death bed "so, by the way...did you know that Jesus as the Christ never existed?" That would be very cruel and morally wrong.

The thing that REALLY PISSES ME OFF is when I read Facebook updates from friends saying things like "I am nothing without God". Most of my friends are Christians and litterally believe everything in the Bible. I really feel the urge to confront them and tell them the truth about religion like:

"Don't worry, you won't go to hell because you're having sex before marriage because hell doesn't exist!..."
"Go on! Sleep in on Sunday and don't waste your time going to church. Rather spend your time with real loved ones or do something you like"

At this moment in time my view is not to confront any of them because I know how I struggled. Would it be morally wrong to try and "help" them not to live in fear and not to waste their time?
Spinoza Wrote:God is the Asylum of Ignorance
RE: Attack or retreat?
I've always felt that everyone has a right to believe whatever the fuck they want, just don't push it on me. I would just tell them something like that. Don't try to push your beliefs, or lack of, in them because then you'll be just like them. Just tell them you're happy the way things are and to knock it off....in a nice way because they're your friends. True friends wont care what you believe. If someone told me I was nothing without god I'd tell them to fuck off. It is insulting.
binnyCoffee
Whatever your position, if you're interested in it you have to defend it. Being confident in your views is good but forcing them onto others or using them cruelly is wrong. Your friends seem to be acting insensitively and offensively. You have the moral high ground, which you'd lose if you stooped to their level.
Quote:Here is a question that's been bugging me a bit. As atheists, do we confront people with our views to try and make them see the truth or sit back and say nothing?

I do not now and have never claimed to possess "THE TRUTH" about any topic, although I have strong opinions about a lot of things..

I assert only that "I do not believe". I will sometimes give my opinion, depending on context,but simply can't be bothered with some literalist knuckle dragger. If polite, I simply decline to discuss the matter with them,walking away if necessary. If they become insistent, I can be very coarse.

Nor do I care,at all,about the personal superstitions of others,unless they get in my face. I have no need to convince others of my position on anything.

On a pragmatic level I've found it unwise to argue religion or politics with strangers.

Quote:The thing that REALLY PISSES ME OFF is when I read Facebook updates from friends saying things like "I am nothing without God".

That you become angry [at someone having a different world view] reveals your intolerance and immaturity more than anything about them.

PS: Atheists do nothing 'as atheists'. We ain't a group, a club,a religion,an ideology or a political party.. We share one and only one position;: a disbelief in god(s).
(October 14, 2009 at 4:38 pm)Craveman Wrote: Most of my friends are Christians and litterally believe everything in the Bible.

Thats your friends views. If they are happy in what they believing let them be.

(October 14, 2009 at 4:38 pm)Craveman Wrote: At this moment in time my view is not to confront any of them because I know how I struggled. Would it be morally wrong to try and "help" them not to live in fear and not to waste their time?

Unless you think it is a good idea go for it, if not then don't.
That you become angry [at someone having a different world view] reveals your intolerance and immaturity more than anything about them.

[/quote]

Very good point Padriac but definitely not what I meant! I'm not getting pissed of with them because of their believe in God but rather for the girl not believing in herself and them wasting their time. I agree with you that people should have freedom to pick whichever religion they want. I'm pissed off because I was a devout Christian once. Wasted a lot of time practicing it and I wish that someone told me earlier

Let me give you some more examples re my first post.

Imagine this: you've just boarded the tube on your way to work. It's a lovely crisp clear winter's morning and you actually managed to find a spare seat. So you sit down and you're just about to read your favourite article in the morning paper when suddenly a radical Christian preacher with a bible under his arm start shouting at the top of his voice that Jesus is your saviour...doesn't this piss you off?

What about when some Christians judge you and belittle you?

What about getting a hiding just because (as a kid) you went playing instead of going to church?
Spinoza Wrote:God is the Asylum of Ignorance
@ The OP

Craveman, I'd say you have to decide for yourself what you think is right. Because it's, of course, not always wrong to confront people with the truth, but it's not always right. It depends on the situation.

EvF
Friends don't let friends get hooked on drugs.
Friends don't let friends get hooked on religion.
Religion damages lives!
Fanatics damage lives: *holds up mirror to Secularone*
(October 15, 2009 at 2:10 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Fanatics damage lives: *holds up mirror to Secularone*

Don't we look wonderful today? Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you attack the Church if you could? Macoleco 108 14408 December 19, 2016 at 2:31 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  Science is under attack! Rokcet Scientist 3 2181 February 19, 2012 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  The Attack on Scientific Truth in Public Schools Erinome 59 22456 January 5, 2012 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Perhaps
  Norway attack suspect returns to scene of shooting Judas BentHer 0 1203 August 14, 2011 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Judas BentHer
  Attack Islam, not Christianity. Rwandrall 45 19105 June 21, 2011 at 3:27 pm
Last Post: Zenith