Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 7:29 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any writers here (or readers, especially of Fantasy or Magic Realism)?
Any writers here (or readers, especially of Fantasy or Magic Realism)?
I've been grilled about why I write Fantasy when I'm a skeptic about magic in real life.  I don't believe in ESP or any other paranormal phenomenon.  

Here's the thing though - it's FICTION, and Fantasy books challenge the imagination.  It's fun to write about magic and there is an emotional satisfaction in envisioning a world where it exists.  One thing I always liked about Harry Potter, for instance, is how JK Rowling used the imaginary magical world to make social commentary about the real world. 

Fiction in general (even the more "realistic" kind) is very contrived and yet this is why it can be so satisfying - in a fictional world the good guys usually win, and the bad guys get punished.  I think this is especially important to someone like me who doesn't believe there is a puppet-master in the sky pulling the strings to create justice in real life. 

I'd be interested in hearing from other readers/fans of Fantasy and of magic realism, as well as writers. 

Some of my favourite books and movies include traditional Fantasy and sword & sorcery, like Tolkien.  But my very favourite genre is stories set in the real world but with magical elements - this could range from movies like The Illusionist to Matt Haig's novel _The Midnight Library_.
RE: Any writers here (or readers, especially of Fantasy or Magic Realism)?
I have written several books. Fiction.

A post with links to three of them.

When it comes to reading fantasy, my favorite series is The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind due to the social-political nature of the content.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I’ve never written fiction, but as far as fantasy goes, I’m a huge fan of LOTR, as well as of the pulp writers of the 20s and 30s (Howard, Moore, Lovecraft, etc).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 3, 2024 at 7:34 pm)Foxaèr Wrote: I have written several books. Fiction.

When it comes to reading fantasy, my favorite series is The Sword of Truth by Terry Goodkind due to the social-political nature of the content.

Interesting - thanks. Will check out your books

(March 3, 2024 at 7:47 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I’ve never written fiction, but as far as fantasy goes, I’m a huge fan of LOTR, as well as of the pulp writers of the 20s and 30s (Howard, Moore, Lovecraft, etc).

Boru

Yeah LOTR is amazing. Have you ever tried Urban Fantasy (with vampires and werewolves etc)? I'm a huge fan of Charlaine Harris who wrote the books that the TV series _True Blood_ was based on (I found the show really uneven but some seasons were great). I also really enjoy Jim Butcher and some of Laurell K. Hamilton.
I write a little. Reality-based fiction, or the occasional essay, mainly. A little poetry here and there. It's a hobby.

(March 3, 2024 at 8:37 pm)Jillybean Wrote:

(March 3, 2024 at 7:47 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I’ve never written fiction, but as far as fantasy goes, I’m a huge fan of LOTR, as well as of the pulp writers of the 20s and 30s (Howard, Moore, Lovecraft, etc).

Boru

Yeah LOTR is amazing.  Have you ever tried Urban Fantasy (with vampires and werewolves etc)?  I'm a huge fan of Charlaine Harris who wrote the books that the TV series _True Blood_ was based on (I found the show really uneven but some seasons were great).  I also really enjoy Jim Butcher and some of Laurell K. Hamilton.

Not my thing. The closest I ever got to urban fantasy (admittedly not very close at all) was Strieber’s The Wolfen, which I quite liked.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 3, 2024 at 8:37 pm)Jillybean Wrote:

Boru

Yeah LOTR is amazing. Have you ever tried Urban Fantasy (with vampires and werewolves etc)? I'm a huge fan of Charlaine Harris who wrote the books that the TV series _True Blood_ was based on (I found the show really uneven but some seasons were great). I also really enjoy Jim Butcher and some of Laurell K. Hamilton.

I have some Laurell K. Hamilton books.

They were quite good until her character started banging someone new every other chapter.
Dying to live, living to die.
(March 4, 2024 at 11:42 am)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(March 3, 2024 at 8:37 pm)Jillybean Wrote: Interesting - thanks. Will check out your books

Yeah LOTR is amazing.  Have you ever tried Urban Fantasy (with vampires and werewolves etc)?  I'm a huge fan of Charlaine Harris who wrote the books that the TV series _True Blood_ was based on (I found the show really uneven but some seasons were great).  I also really enjoy Jim Butcher and some of Laurell K. Hamilton.

They were quite good until her character started banging someone new every other chapter.

*frantically googling ‘Laura K. Hamilton books’*

Boru
As far as supernatural fiction, I only ever got into Anne Rice.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(March 4, 2024 at 11:42 am)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(March 4, 2024 at 11:57 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: [quote='The Valkyrie' pid='2191775' dateline='1709566968']

*frantically googling ‘Laura K. Hamilton books’*

Boru

LOL - yes, there is a lot of sex in her later books and although some of it is good, she actually managed to make a lot of it tedious and boring. For anyone interested in the Fantasy/Erotica combo, I do recommend her Fey books starting with _A Stroke of Midnight_.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sci-fi/fantasy author criticizes book store for stocking dead guys Foxaèr 9 1147 April 20, 2019 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Any Artsie People On Here? Court Jester 20 2148 September 24, 2017 at 5:25 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  For Fantasy/Sci-Fiction Lovers: What Makes You Reada Book? Rhondazvous 51 5750 February 27, 2017 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Any Musical Theater Lovers Here? camlov2019 7 992 January 1, 2017 at 6:51 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  How I would create Final Fantasy m0nk3y 2 745 August 9, 2016 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
Video Magic trick goes wrong: Hand impaled! Aractus 2 1040 July 5, 2016 at 8:30 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Writing, Writers, and Scribbles. Stormcat 21 3125 February 17, 2016 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Any Guitarists Here? Mechaghostman2 13 1554 December 3, 2015 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Any fans of vocaloid here? DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 12 2372 November 25, 2015 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: DespondentFishdeathMasochismo
  Poets and Writers Submit Your Work for Publication in this Elegant Journal Rhondazvous 0 665 November 9, 2015 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous