Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 5, 2024, 1:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brevity Burns
Brevity Burns
Against the censurers of brevity. - Something said briefly can be the fruit of much long thought: but the reader who is a novice in this field, and has as yet reflected on it not at all, sees in everything said briefly something embryonic, not without censuring the author for having served him up such immature and unripened fare. - Nietzsche

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Nietzsche

Gobbledygook is long-winded tripe.
RE: Brevity Burns
(August 21, 2023 at 9:09 pm)MarcusA Wrote: Against the censurers of brevity. - Something said briefly can be the fruit of much long thought: but the reader who is a novice in this field, and has as yet reflected on it not at all, sees in everything said briefly something embryonic, not without censuring the author for having served him up such immature and unripened fare. - Nietzsche

It is my ambition to say in ten sentences what others say in a whole book. - Nietzsche

Sabine Hossenfelder has a YouTube channel titled "Science Without The Gobbledygook".

Good stuff, but her videos end up being too short for my commute.
Sometimes being longwinded is the best way to convey a point or educate a child or change an attitude or impress a girl.

Other times brevity is best.
(August 21, 2023 at 10:14 pm)LinuxGal Wrote:
(August 21, 2023 at 9:09 pm)MarcusA Wrote: Against the censurers of brevity. - Something said briefly can be the fruit of much long thought: but the reader who is a novice in this field, and has as yet reflected on it not at all, sees in everything said briefly something embryonic, not without censuring the author for having served him up such immature and unripened fare. - Nietzsche

Sabine Hossenfelder has a YouTube channel titled "Science Without The Gobbledygook".

So, you object to people who give vent to their loquacity via extraneous bombastic circumlocution?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Whether brevity is good or poor communication depends on what you're trying to convey.

Brevity burns but kerosine ignites.
Dying to live, living to die.
(August 21, 2023 at 10:14 pm)LinuxGal Wrote:

I like Sabine. 
She has good rabbit recipes.

Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble. - Joseph Campbell  Popcorn

Militant Atheist Commie Evolutionist 
Brevity has it's place, so does meticulous instruction. Sweeping generalizations, even brief ones and prolix ones, are of limited use and can easily confuse.

But I've said enough.
If brevity be the soul of love, play on Macduff.
(August 22, 2023 at 12:09 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(August 21, 2023 at 10:14 pm)LinuxGal Wrote: Sabine Hossenfelder has a YouTube channel titled "Science Without The Gobbledygook".

So, you object to people who give vent to their loquacity via extraneous bombastic circumlocution?

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will do.