Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 10:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very moving story from a theist. I wish more theists were like this...
Very moving story from a theist. I wish more theists were like this...
From a reddit post. Apparently the "Guy" she is talking about is her brother.

http://www.juliarocchi.com/2011/09/how-i...-love.html
RE: Very moving story from a theist. I wish more theists were like this...
Yes, very honest. A convenient summation for an atheist - that she apparently had no rationale.
That made me feel warm and fuzzy after reading it.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I admire her acceptance of her brother,but not her needy faith, nor her reasoning and certainly not the skewed notion of the burden of proof.
Oh FFS, he told her he didn't believe in fairy tales...not that he had terminal cancer.

Theists are such whiners.
Title of thread should be; "Very boring story from a theist. Too bad so many theists are this boring..."
(September 14, 2011 at 6:55 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Yes, very honest. A convenient summation for an atheist - that she apparently had no rationale.

We don't need a little summary by some whining girl to let us know your beliefs are silly fr0d0 Smile
Quote:Too bad so many theists are this boring..."

Yes. Precisely.

They are boring as hell, aren't they?

Always whining about sin and grace and their fucking sky-daddy.

Well said, Void.
(September 14, 2011 at 10:23 pm)theVOID Wrote: We don't need a little summary by some whining girl to let us know your beliefs are silly fr0d0 Smile

And then you post this?

(September 14, 2011 at 10:23 pm)theVOID Wrote: My beliefs in short:

Metaphysical Naturalist (Nature is all we are justified in believing)
Free Market Capitalist (Trade is the business of those trading, not you)
Social Individualist (people are free to do what they like so long as they don't impose on others)
Epistemic Bayesian (we can only know in probabilistic terms)

ROFLOL

Didn't you omit 'Callous Dickhead Egotist (fuck everybody else)' from that list?
Sorry, but I 'm distinctly unmoved.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
I don't find anything interesting or moving about the story. In fact it's rather pathetic that this person has admitted they only believe because they want to and they're scared. If people want to lie to themselves and believe something false because the truth scares them, fine. But no, it does nothing to move me. The fact that she can see someone close to her who is happier than she is without all that shit must be hard to take, but if she was intellectually honest she could have it too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is a theist other then the basic definition? Quill01 4 744 August 1, 2022 at 11:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Theist with Questions RBP3280 57 3073 April 1, 2022 at 6:14 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  How very christian of you. no one 13 1481 August 15, 2020 at 5:00 pm
  Turns out we were all wrong. Here's undeniable proof of god. EgoDeath 6 1439 September 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Dating / Married To Theist wolf39us 23 2904 April 8, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Who told you that you were naked? Um nobody. Fake Messiah 7 835 March 21, 2019 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: Nakara
  Raw Story gives a voice to atheists.... Brian37 8 1662 October 17, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Came across something on YouTube and had a very immature thought GODZILLA 20 3119 October 5, 2018 at 9:30 am
  You're a theist against immigration? Foxaèr 54 9586 July 9, 2018 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Dead people testify! We were wrong! ignoramus 12 1743 June 11, 2018 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: ignoramus