Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 10:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What seems to be the latest claim about end times belief
What seems to be the latest claim about end times belief
Hello. I hope all is well. I'm new here. In the way of introduction, I was raised a (SBC) fundamentalist Christian. I have struggled with obsessive compulsive disorder and religious trauma. I have become an atheist over the past couple of years, although I had my doubts long before that.

My mother is still a fundie, and she was largely responsible for my indoctrination (my father having been largely indifferent). I sometimes get an earful of what the latest bs desperate attempts are by the likes of the SBC to continue arguing for an impending rapture. Various family members conveniently forget that they have been hearing interpretations and claims on the imminent nature of this supposed event since the 70s at least. 

The current theory seems to be that there is a 27 nation European Coalition that somehow represents a rebirth of the ancient Roman empire and that there is somehow going to be a "wealth redistribution" as a result of the demand for Middle Eastern oil. This, combined with the current events in Israel is believed to lead the the rapture. Forget the fact that everyone was once convinced that the rapture would follow a Russian invasion of Israel and who knows how many other whacky theories. 

Do other member of this board endure such lunatic thoughts from relatives? Lol.
RE: What seems to be the latest claim about end times belief
Welcome woof to the forum. 

I don't hear much from others anymore about end times. Maybe it's old age selective hearing.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
The only deviation from the "he's returning" message is the ever-changing date that always ends up being a false prediction.

Edit: the only reason they continue to make predictions is so that they can childishly state, "Told you so."
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(May 16, 2024 at 10:13 am)Vintagesilverscreen Wrote: Do other member of this board endure such lunatic thoughts from relatives? Lol.

We have all heard many apocalyptic predictions from Christians this year, considering that there was an eclipse, and it will be probably many more looney claims all the way towards the end of the year during the elections when many Christians will proclaim Biden to be antichrist that will bring on the Armageddon if elected.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
Eventually things will end. Sadly, there won't be anyone left to say, "I told you so."

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

My relatives all know what the response would be to their spouting nonsense!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  This is the Beginning of the End Serafino 23 2451 November 25, 2023 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1430 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Nailed to a cross, Filipino prays for Ukraine war to end Ferrocyanide 1 566 April 8, 2023 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Why not dismiss the trinitarian belief outright R00tKiT 80 7859 August 13, 2021 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
Lightbulb the end is nigh 2!!! Drich 113 9356 October 1, 2020 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Belief Catharsis 57 4465 March 24, 2019 at 9:54 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Who Do You Think Is The Best Christian Of Our Times? BrianSoddingBoru4 14 2001 January 22, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Drich
  In the end, there's just what you personally believe Foxaèr 31 5056 August 12, 2018 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  The believer seems to know god better than he knows himself Foxaèr 43 8483 June 2, 2018 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  So It Seems That This Jesus Freak Corporation's Religious Beliefs Only Go So Far Minimalist 11 2271 July 6, 2017 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist