Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 2:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can there be New Ways of Understanding and Practicing Ancient Religious Teachings?
Can there be New Ways of Understanding and Practicing Ancient Religious Teachings?
This is a continuation of the thread “Does the Quran support Theocracy?” Thread.

I was talking about how the 10th century Church was using images on main cathedrals to relate the most basic biblical stories to its audiences who were mostly very poor, illiterate and has very limited perceptions about the world in general and had to be taught some sort of simplified version of religious teachings because that’s the most that could be done back in those days.

I don’t know if I was clear enough on this issue in that thread. There are two things I wanted to state here:

So the conclusion is that modern theists can and do in many cases have what I call a better approach to spiritual themes. Yes there are many who think (for instance) that half an inch of dark colored cloth is the main difference between endless riches and luxury in the after-life or centuries of torture in the hands of the most vicious creatures one can ever imagine. But yes, there are those with a more intelligent approach: I personally see myself as a rational explorer of these “possibilities” I believe to be real. My opinion is that the second approach is a more logical one in our times. Simply because of the fact that we are far more empowered than the people of 10th century and it is expected of people of our age to show signs of better reasoning, usage of better methods in our quests for answers and greater open-mindedness in our overall approaches and spiritual practice in general.

/And I am not afraid to say this openly because at least in my culture, there are serious scholars who are pointing to the fact that the second approach is more suitable in the reality of our times.
[Image: 7151bc275de2d3d422106a4008215efe.jpg]

RE: Can there be New Ways of Understanding and Practicing Ancient Religious Teachings?
We need a continuation? Who decided this?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

RE: Can there be New Ways of Understanding and Practicing Ancient Religious Teachings?
Well, that was horrible.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 8, 2024 at 4:27 pm)Leonardo17 Wrote: This is a continuation of the thread “Does the Quran support Theocracy?” Thread.

I was talking about how the 10th century Church was using images on main cathedrals to relate the most basic biblical stories to its audiences who were mostly very poor, illiterate and has very limited perceptions about the world in general and had to be taught some sort of simplified version of religious teachings because that’s the most that could be done back in those days.

I don’t know if I was clear enough on this issue in that thread. There are two things I wanted to state here:

So the conclusion is that modern theists can and do in many cases have what I call a better approach to spiritual themes. Yes there are many who think (for instance) that half an inch of dark colored cloth is the main difference between endless riches and luxury in the after-life or centuries of torture in the hands of the most vicious creatures one can ever imagine. But yes, there are those with a more intelligent approach: I personally see myself as a rational explorer of these “possibilities” I believe to be real. My opinion is that the second approach is a more logical one in our times. Simply because of the fact that we are far more empowered than the people of 10th century and it is expected of people of our age to show signs of better reasoning, usage of better methods in our quests for answers and greater open-mindedness in our overall approaches and spiritual practice in general.

/And I am not afraid to say this openly because at least in my culture, there are serious scholars who are pointing to the fact that the second approach is more suitable in the reality of our times.

Thank you for posting the triptych! It's wonderful to come across such a beautiful work of art unexpectedly like this. This and St-Lazare from the other thread really do make a person's day better. 

I think you're bringing up some very ancient debates, which are still relevant for people who want to be sincere in their spirituality. The argument concerning icons and idols has been going on pretty much from the beginning of the Abrahamic religions. 

The way I understand the debate is: in a (too simple) nutshell, so long as an image inspires and guides us toward the ineffable, it is serving its purpose. If, however, we don't look beyond the object, and begin to limit our attention merely to the physical thing, it becomes a distraction and a block. Probably the most intense and in-depth arguments on these topics took place between the iconoclasts and the iconodules of the Byzantine Empire. 

I'm going to approach these objects a little differently than you do in your earlier post. You said that the sculptures at St-Lazare are intended to teach stories to people who otherwise couldn't read them. This I think is only part of their purpose, and maybe not the main part. If they were meant ONLY to get the story across, then simpler, less elaborate cartoon-type pictures would in fact be better. If instructive purposes are all there is, then all pictures aspire to the condition of Ikea assembly instructions -- and you have to admit that St-Lazare is far from that. 

It seems to me that the beauty of St-Lazare and of the triptych is an integral part of its message. (Remember what the man said: the medium IS the message.) 

Plato makes it clear that beauty is only one aspect of the Good (i.e. God), but it is the most easily accessible aspect. We perceive and react to beauty much more naturally than we react to justice or mercy, which have to be discerned intellectually from the actions which may embody them. The other virtues are abstractions, in the way that beauty is not. This is why beauty (for Plato, the beauty of hot boys) is considered the first and easiest step toward knowledge of God. In religious art, beauty is not "just aesthetic," or added skin-deep appeal. It is the main part of the message. This is why, too, Muslim buildings which don't have narrative art still aim to the greatest beauty possible. When Pseudo-Dionysius the Areopagite Christianized Neo-Platonism, he called "beauty" one of the names of God.

But I agree with you that this may become an interruption and a distraction. The tension between beauty that leads one to the spiritual and beauty that stops one's progress at the surface level seems unavoidable. I suppose it comes down to what an individual is open to. Those who have ears, let them hear. 

I'm not sure what you're advocating here, or what you mean by a more modern approach to spirituality. I don't think that we should discard the beauty of art, music, and ritual as if they are outdated. If you're advocating that we substitute a more reasoned, logical approach -- as if the ineffable can be explained purely by argument -- that does seem more modern, but also fundamentally against what spirituality has been, forever. 

I do think that one of the problems spirituality faces in our time is a terrible lowering of the quality in its beautiful expression. The times we live in don't lend themselves to great art, and the incredible heights of a van Eyck or a Bach seem to have plummeted down to cartoons and guitar bands. I have never attended a church service, but I saw part of one on YouTube once. When the pop music started up I turned it off in disgust. The idea that the arts have to lower themselves to the lowest common denominator of the audience, rather than lifting people to unaccustomed beauty, seems exactly wrong to me. 

Proust said:

Quote:“Thanks to art, instead of seeing one world only, our own, we see that world multiply itself and we have at our disposal as many worlds as there are original artists, worlds more different one from the other than those which revolve in infinite space, worlds which, centuries after the extinction of the fire from which their light first emanated, whether it is called Rembrandt or Vermeer, send us still each one its special radiance.”

Bad art flatters us and repeats what we already know.
And that was more horrible.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(May 8, 2024 at 4:27 pm)Leonardo17 Wrote:  
But since I am mostly talking about Islam I will talk about this in Islamic terms: The Prophet curses such people (the only other two types of person he curses openly are those who value money more than humanity and those who destroy the world’s ecosystem in the days before “the end of times” [Today’s multinational corporations like Gasprom, Rosneft, Shell and all the others] Smile  )

Big Mo was the ceo of a rapacious multinational corporation himself.  Lay aside that you're just making this shit up - even if it were true, it would be akin to the coke guys telling us not to drink pepsi.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
OP: Have you asked ChatGPT?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Understanding? Develop a curriculum.

Practicing? Forget that nonsense.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
No need. My religion is the only correct one there has ever been
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

(May 9, 2024 at 8:28 pm)Nay_Sayer Wrote: No need. My religion is the only correct one there has ever been

I never get enough garlic, please pray for me.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Understanding the Ramadan Massacre in Orlando (David Wood) mralstoner 32 6973 June 18, 2016 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  The parables understanding of Quran from Ahlulbayt. Mystic 4 1791 September 25, 2015 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Is Islam more or less violent in Its teachings then other religions? Goosebump 38 6370 June 9, 2015 at 3:36 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Understanding Islam goodwithoutgod 6 1838 February 22, 2015 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Did ancient egypt have crucifiction? Moira 32 9845 October 27, 2013 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Understanding Irfan (Shiite Mysticism) and the mystic divine leadership perspective. Mystic 9 4779 April 2, 2013 at 9:30 am
Last Post: Mystic
  How can you say ALLAH should not and must not be there? nomercy 4 2697 March 7, 2012 at 11:11 am
Last Post: Nine