Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 17, 2024, 12:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Never-Ending and Quite Exasperating Debate We All Know of
The Never-Ending and Quite Exasperating Debate We All Know of
First things first: The Koran describes the Pharaoh (in the story of the Prophet Moses) as someone “who had a hand on the uterus of women”. So from an Islamic perspective, I see it as a negative sign when policy makers get involved in the human reproductive system in a controlling and imposing manner. (I’m talking about the US State of Arizona regressing to the 1864 law on Abortion of course).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/arizona-top-c...27591.html

The second thing I want to do is to mention an important Yogi (Yaggadish Vassudev / Sadhguru). In one of his video he says that “Between 8 and 10 weeks; Life is currently experimenting with this new life form” Meaning that if you have an understandable reason, you may decide to end that life form like you may end the life of a frozen egg of the life of sperms for instance.
So that’s the spiritual approach here. The only thing Sadhguru is warning us about is, for instance “When you are 5 month pregnant, your fiancé decides to leave you, so suddenly you want to stop being pregnant”. One could argue that this is rather irresponsible for both parents. Also in the ethical approach in general (just like in the issue of euthanasia for instance) there are (and has to be) some limits. You can’t (for instance) issue death pills and let adolescents have them if they decide to. That’s not how these things are supposed to work Smile

The third idea here is the debate on population. Birth rates in countries like Portugal, Italy, Greece are in free fall for decades now:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/losing-battle...04285.html

But who says that’s a bad thing? Again I am going to mention Sadhguru (or Yaggadish Vasudev): He once said that the ideal population for this planet id 4 billion. The current 8 / 10 Billion is excessive. It’s excessive even if we were to manage resources in a better way. If we were just 4 billion, we could keep burning fossil fuels, use plastic packaging as much as we want to, take long showers etc. and nature would be able to find a way before we get to getting at least 2/3rd of us killed because of severe environmental collapse in some form.
Actually, I think we will get to a point in which we may be forced to afford some sort of “single child policy” if we want to keep inhabiting the earth.

The fourth point might be the issue of chastity. This is a huge issue in Eastern religions that has reached gigantic proportions in the last few decades. The simple truth on this is actually very simple: In ancient agricultural communities, when you had two young bodies working in proximity with one another and producing all forms of pheromones etc. things could happen between these bodies whether they wanted of not. So one solution was marriage at a young age. This was useful especially when young men were recruited into armies. It allowed you to maintain the genes even when you lost the individuals. The other was (of course) religion.

This is out of context but here is the typical headscarf for middle class women in my country in the 60’s or 70’s. The Iranian “hijab” is actually a political perversion. The Arabic-Yemeni Hijab is not a perversion because they are desert people who need to be all covered-up both male and female.

[Image: 330px-H%C3%BClya_Ko%C3%A7yi%C4%9Fit_1964.jpg]

[Image: koylu-kadinlar.jpg?w=750&ssl=1]

(Above 1) city woman of the 60's / 70's 
2) Peasant women of the same era in Turkey = normal way of wearing the Hijap mostly in this whole region.

Below: Arabian peninsula dress (completelly coevered up dress that protects them from the elements in a very harsh climate:

[Image: depositphotos_166326356-stock-photo-musl...n-cafe.jpg]

(bellow= 21st century nonsense that is a result of a distorted interpretation of religious teachings:

[Image: ?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig...1ba5725f0e]

So this perverted Hijab is there to protect a semi-mystical concept called “Namos” (Chastity). In north Africa they go as far as female genital mutilation. These are (in its basis) primitive inventions to keep the young and healthy bodies who are producing effort and sweating under the sun while doing agricultural work from joining one another. That’s all it is. Smile

Less educated people tend to be more impulsive and more physical in their way of living in comparison to us. More civilized / self-controlling people. So part of the solution was (I’m talking about millennia old beliefs) to tell them that this was a “tabu” never to be thought of / never to be even considered (for fear of being rejected by the community + for fear of committing a huge “sin” against God or whatever they see as their deity).

So again: Reason must be our guide here. Some people seem to be treating politics like some sort of ball game in which each one is supporting two opposing teams in a very hooligan manner. Can there be no bipartisan compromise to this whole issue that takes into account the logical aspects of each opposing party and then ends up with a legal solution that works as a tool to promote human life and wellbeing?

Personally: I don’t believe in purely dogmatic / fanatical approaches in any kind. I think these two are not compatible with any form of genuine spirituality.
[Image: 7151bc275de2d3d422106a4008215efe.jpg]

RE: The Never-Ending and Quite Exasperating Debate We All Know of
That was a giant wall of code go back and fix it or delete the thread.
Covid tried decreasing the population, but it didn't do a good enough job.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(April 10, 2024 at 11:52 am)Foxaèr Wrote: Covid tried decreasing the population, but it didn't do a good enough job.

As I said in my previous posts: I believe in an inner phenomenon within us humans that has the potential of being much / much more successful in doing that than Covid.

(I hope you can see the images more clearly now) Smile
[Image: 7151bc275de2d3d422106a4008215efe.jpg]

(April 10, 2024 at 11:50 am)Leonardo17 Wrote: Can there be no bipartisan compromise to this whole issue that takes into account the logical aspects of each opposing party and then ends up with a legal solution that works as a tool to promote human life and wellbeing?

Not really, no - because the two sides here are those who would force a woman to have a child and those who would not.  There's no negotiation between those two things that promotes human life or wellbeing.  

Just look at the example you chose to frame the question with.  Five months pregnant and wants an abortion because her boyfriend left?  Firstly....nonsense.  Secondly, what are you prepared to do to stop her if so?

Pairing it up with comments on clothing is the height of irony, as you suggest that maybe we ought to be less controlling with respect to dress and more controlling with respect to a uterus.  Hands off the one, hands all up in the other...as a negotiation.

More broadly, there should be no negotiation between government and your/our private religious beliefs in a secular nation. That's between you and your silly gods...spiritually speaking. You want to sit at home and think about how irresponsible these imaginary women are? How poorly their decisions reflect based upon your own moral code? Good for you - you don't need government approval for that. It's not as if there can actually be any negotiation between a maximalist stance with maximalist objectives and it's antithesis, practically speaking - only capitulation. Which is how we got ourselves into this mess with the panty sniffers in the first place - and which will clearly never be enough for them no matter what anyone else agrees to.

In sum, the whole thing is a bad faith argument for a bad faith goal. Maybe you ought to find something else to be "bipartisan" about, some thing where some girls womb isn't the bargaining chip for civic comity?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Put all straight men in one hemisphere, all women and gay men in the other. Eventually, the straight men hemisphere will die off; good riddance. The women who choose to bear children use artificial insemination from gay man sperm to keep the population thriving. They'll raise boys into men worthy of society. Problem solved.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Wish granted, but all of the gay men are catholic preists.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 10, 2024 at 1:52 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Wish granted, but all of the gay men are catholic preists.

With a flagellation fetish.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Most People Insist That Two Separate Being Can Never Be One KerimF 86 4927 June 17, 2023 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Invitation for Atheists to Debate a Christian via Skype LetsDebateThings 121 13320 June 19, 2019 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Christians worship Satan and don't even know it rado84 18 1880 April 15, 2019 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: brewer
  World ending on April 23rd, says false prophet Divinity 41 8723 April 27, 2018 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Truer Words Were Never Spoken Minimalist 9 2560 April 23, 2018 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  New WLC debate Jehanne 18 3424 March 28, 2017 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Jesus did not rise from the dead -- My debate opening statement. Jehanne 155 25269 January 21, 2017 at 1:28 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  An invitation to debate. Jehanne 63 8768 December 22, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Christians never murdered anybody mcolafson 22 3634 December 15, 2016 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Big Debate -- Price versus Ehrman Jehanne 43 9888 November 26, 2016 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne