Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 9:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
God's omnipresence
God's omnipresence
To falsify the omnipresence of God, one need only demonstrate that God does not exist in at least one place.

Genesis 3:8 And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.

Genesis 4:16 And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.

Job 1:12 And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.
RE: God's omnipresence
No one has to disprove the claim of God's alleged omnipresence. It's up to proponents of that claim to prove it's true in the first place.
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
surely any omnipotent god had the power to shout down any objections?
(September 27, 2023 at 6:03 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: surely any omnipotent god had the power to shout down any objections?

It would also have the power to ensure than no one would object in the first place. Funny how that didn’t happen.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 27, 2023 at 6:03 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: surely any omnipotent god had the power to shout down any objections?

On the contrary, such a God would not need to shout down anything. He would have no objectors in the first place.

EDIT: Sorry, did not see Boru's comment.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
(September 27, 2023 at 6:15 am)Ahriman Wrote:

On the contrary, such a God would not need to shout down anything. He would have no objectors in the first place.

Thank you for repeating what I said.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 26, 2023 at 10:20 pm)LinuxGal Wrote: To falsify the omnipresence of God, one need only demonstrate that God does not exist in at least one place.

Genesis 3:8 And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden.

Genesis 4:16 And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.

Job 1:12 And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.

That doesn't falsify anything, God could be messing with them, allowing an illusion of privacy, free will, and if all possible explanations fail it's ineffable.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
JH
(September 27, 2023 at 10:40 am)Confabulate Wrote:
(September 26, 2023 at 10:20 pm)LinuxGal Wrote: To falsify the omnipresence of God, one need only demonstrate that God does not exist in at least one place.

That doesn't falsify anything, God could be messing with them, allowing an illusion of privacy, free will, and if all possible explanations fail it's ineffable.

maybe god is just messing with then when he seem to demand to be worshipped?
Seems omnipresence confllicts with omnipotence: If you're omnipresent you're everywhere by definition and if you're omnipresent you don't have to be anywhere you don't want to be. Believers often claim that hell is separation from God, that also seems to conflict with omnipresence. It's like they tacked on 'omnipresent' because they wanted to stack on more omni-attributes.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(September 27, 2023 at 10:40 am)Confabulate Wrote:

god was just fucking with A&E. He knows they now know what evil looks like.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My argument against God(s) & omnipresence ErGingerbreadMandude 8 2228 June 2, 2016 at 7:45 pm
Last Post: Shadow_Man
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12777 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6762 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad