Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 3:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Luke 4:5
Luke 4:5
Luke 4:

[5] And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.

[6] And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.

[7] If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine.

This is how far Jesus and the devil could see if the devil took him to the highest mountain on Earth. All the kingdoms of Earth do not fit in that red circle. Jesus was not impressed with such a small offer and turned the devil down.

[Image: 000021032326.jpeg]
RE: Luke 4:5
There were 3 "temptations" and they were archetypal and allegorical. They were not meant to be literal.
Together the three served as "mythology" (see Bultmann) to say that their hero/Jesus was triumphant over whatever the temptations were, and Satan and evil.
The three also served to demonstrate the hero's status as a Jew, as Moses and Elijah had also had similar temptations.
Been years since I read about those ... and I came from very liberal tradition. Read a really good book about these once, but can't recall who wrote it.
I asked Kung once about these, at Tubingen when I was there for a semester, and couldn't understand his response.
Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble. - Joseph Campbell  Popcorn

Militant Atheist Commie Evolutionist 
RE: Luke 4:5
Reading the bible as myth and metaphor seems the best possible response to the text.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Luke 4:5 LinuxGal 17 2054 December 3, 2022 at 11:29 am
Last Post: brewer
  Translation of Luke 2:2 DeistPaladin 11 3521 July 21, 2010 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Minimalist