Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 17, 2024, 12:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] The love of a God
The love of a God
I had a friend bear his testimony to me today. He's someone who struggles with chronic pain and debilitating conditions, exacerbated by past injuries. He told me that when he was younger, he used to get irritated by people not moving fast enough around him and it caused him to feel a lot of contention and anger in his heart. So, he prayed to the Lord for patience. Then, not long after, he got into a terrible accident, injuring his spine and developed several other conditions that make it hard for him to move very fast. He said the Lord did this to/for him to help him learn empathy for those who used to frustrate him and to help him learn patience.

That's probably one of the things I'll have the hardest time getting over. This concept of pain and suffering being an example of God's lovingly delivered lessons. It makes me furiously angry to think about how much bad in my life I attributed to something I deserved and should be grateful for. I no longer believe there is a God but I am fiercely bitter over the indoctrination I received to believe that pain given to me by someone was love and for my benefit/for my own good. That suffering and tribulation were purifying and elevating tools because I was destined for a higher purpose.

I feel bad for my friend because his testimony, the thing that he feels empowered and enriched by, sounds like abuse.

RE: The love of a God
Severe pain from injury, medical condition, surgery, etc. is something I have found can change how you view things and how you respond to other people in certain situations.

I had both breasts removed in 2009, including the implantation of tissues expanders (which are as fun as they sound), followed by those being removed and replaced with implants for reconstruction. I skipped chemo and radiation but didn't miss out on nerve damage, severe anemia, or pain that persists to this day. With some people's situations I am more patient but mostly I am of the "suck it up Buttercup" mindset.

Not once did I think that gawd decided I needed more empathy and so put me through what was years of torturous pain and is still chronic pain and upper body physical limitations.

Had I thought gawd did this to me, I would be an angry militant atheist.

Pretty much all of our life experiences give us a chance to learn something if we are paying attention.

The "I love you let me prove it by causing pain" is the essence of an abusive relationship.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Wow, that is pretty sad.
Humans are malicious, vicious, vindictive creatures, by extension so too are their bevy of fictitious gods.
(March 14, 2021 at 7:10 pm)no one Wrote: Humans are malicious, vicious, vindictive creatures, by extension so too are their bevy of fictitious gods.
^^^^^^^^

Nominee for Quote of the Month!!
(March 14, 2021 at 7:10 pm)no one Wrote: Humans are malicious, vicious, vindictive creatures, by extension so too are their bevy of fictitious gods.

I find it ironic that humanists are often the most misanthropic of men.
Quote:I find it ironic that humanists are often the most misanthropic of men.
There is misanthropic about acknowledging humans can be complete dicks
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Godly abuse is divine abuse, because god can do no wrong.

Stockholm for god, because not knowing what's bad for you is the way of Jesus.

[Image: icon_quote.jpg]This guy:
Humans are malicious, vicious, vindictive creatures, by extension so too are their bevy of fictitious gods.

[Image: icon_quote.jpg]Seax:
I find it ironic that humanists are often the most misanthropic of men.

Funny, I do not recall ever mentioning any interest in humanism.

Humans fucking suck! Plain and simple.
If god can be/do anything they want it to, then every conceivable rationalization/justification is in play.

A loving punishment correction? Brilliant!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God doesn't love you-or does He? yragnitup 24 4927 January 24, 2019 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  Love of God vs love of a woman Mystic 51 5716 September 26, 2018 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  Can God love? Angrboda 292 41671 July 16, 2018 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Why don't Christians admire/LOVE SATAN instead of the biblical God? ProgrammingGodJordan 18 3674 January 21, 2017 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 20164 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  God is Love Zidneya 14 2521 September 15, 2014 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  God's love protects us from the disasters he sends. topher 13 3372 May 31, 2014 at 6:04 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Theists: Why do you love God? Welsh cake 152 65726 January 5, 2012 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: Cyberman