Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 10:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does this remind you of?
What does this remind you of?
A traditional, typically ancient story dealing with supernatural beings, ancestors, or heroes that serves as a fundamental type in the worldview of a people, as by explaining aspects of the natural world or delineating the psychology, customs, or ideals of society.

This is the dictionary definition of the word Myth but of course equally describes todays organised religions.

My question is, do you think that Christianity, Islam, Judaism etc. will eventually be described in the same way as Zeus, Apollo and the likes of Thor and Odin and when might that be?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: What does this remind you of?
Yes it will, but when I have no idea. 2000 years of Christianity plus some more for Judaism, means that it is already lasting longer than for instance Greek mythology, but given that the earliest recorded form of worship date back as far as 70,000BCE it might be some time yet.

The longest lasting religion is Altjeringa aka Dreamtime, as defined by the Australian Aboriginees. There are Dreamtime pictographs similar to recent drawings, but dating back over 40,000 years.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Sadly not in my life time or the life time of my children but lets hope that as science progresses than people get a wiser. I don't know many people that believe the whole Adam and Eve story but I did when I was a kid, so I guess that is progress (albeit miniscule). I find that a lot of people still like the idea of a happy ending (heaven) and find the atheist view of death lacks comfort. I think if an alternate but equally happy ending appeared you would find conversion at a fast rate.

Sadly the truth is not that appealing to the masses. Maybe it need some good PR. Maybe a free set of steak knivesSmile
"'God is as real as I am', the old man said. I was relieved since I knew Santa wouldn't lie to me."
I have a feeling that as science pushes life expectancy forward the need for religion will diminish.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Prayer Really Work? Does God Even Care? Eel_LahjicK 63 11798 August 18, 2014 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: ShaMan