Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 8:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any ideas on how to get "wall art" bible verses taken down in a small office?
Any ideas on how to get "wall art" bible verses taken down in a small office?
I write software for a small office that has about 15 people. Today, I noticed that one of the managing partners had placed bible verses as "wall art" in the common waiting area.

I ignored it when I saw a bible on his bookshelf in his office.
I ignored it when I saw Jesus pictures in his office.
I ignored it when I saw his screensaver had been changed to rotate religious motivational pictures.
I ignored it when both he and his wife added Biblical quotes to their email signatures.

I believe they have crossed the line by putting two large "wall art" bible quotes in the common waiting area.

The secretary and I are the only two atheists in the office and it is probably worse for her since these things are in her workspace all day, but I would like to know if there are any good ideas to get them taken down.

I don't want to start a legal battle (5 of the top guys here are excellent lawyers -- and they're all deeply religious), I can't afford to lose my job and I'm afraid I will just by telling these religious attorneys that I'm an atheist and I'm uncomfortable with the biblical stuff everywhere. Anonymous letter maybe? I doubt that would do anything -- they would ask the person to come forward and when I did, I'd surely be fired for some nit-picky thing. Can anyone help me think this through? Any success stories?
RE: Any ideas on how to get "wall art" bible verses taken down in a small office?
I haven't came across that situation, but in my view you should ignore it, it really isn't any pain. In your situation I would just laugh everytime I took a look at those things lol Tongue

You could make a case to your employer that if you have a client of another religion those things could be offending or causing a bad look on the company, but really, let the nutters have their fun.

PS: you could buy an FSM doll to your desk, or a FSM pen holder, something like that Big Grin
RE: Any ideas on how to get "wall art" bible verses taken down in a small office?
Ignoring is the best option.

Next is checking if there are any cameras. If not, a few adjustments to the Bible Verses are in order.
Recruit a fellow atheist to pose as a "customer" to come into the waiting area and announce loudly that he/she is taking his/her business elsewhere because your company is run by a bunch of superstitious twits.

These fuckers may profess to love 'god' but money is still first and foremost.
I would have "The God Delusion", "God is Not Great", "Godless" and other such books conspicuously on my desk. I would also put up atheist themed posters, quotes and cartoons in my work space. That should get the point across.
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
What people suggested it's probably the best solution if they are passive, it best if you are only passive
(January 18, 2011 at 2:21 pm)ssorj Wrote: I write software for a small office that has about 15 people. Today, I noticed that one of the managing partners had placed bible verses as "wall art" in the common waiting area.

I ignored it when I saw a bible on his bookshelf in his office.
I ignored it when I saw Jesus pictures in his office.
I ignored it when I saw his screensaver had been changed to rotate religious motivational pictures.
I ignored it when both he and his wife added Biblical quotes to their email signatures.

I believe they have crossed the line by putting two large "wall art" bible quotes in the common waiting area.

The secretary and I are the only two atheists in the office and it is probably worse for her since these things are in her workspace all day, but I would like to know if there are any good ideas to get them taken down.

I don't want to start a legal battle (5 of the top guys here are excellent lawyers -- and they're all deeply religious), I can't afford to lose my job and I'm afraid I will just by telling these religious attorneys that I'm an atheist and I'm uncomfortable with the biblical stuff everywhere. Anonymous letter maybe? I doubt that would do anything -- they would ask the person to come forward and when I did, I'd surely be fired for some nit-picky thing. Can anyone help me think this through? Any success stories?
First, I would suggest that you bring this up with that guy and tell them kindly how you feel about it. Maybe if he doesn't see the problem, I suggest Thor's method of retaliation by putting books about atheism on the bookshelf, pictures of atheistic thinkers on the walls, and quotes from them in the common areas and your emails (maybe "threatening" to do so to his face might change his mind). Or better yet, if there's anybody who is into a non-Christian religion (maybe a Muslim or Jew, possibly a Buddhist if you can get him to take sides in a rivalry like this), have him do the same thing. What experience I have tells me that if that guy has two brain cells to rub together, he will realise that some people are just not going to be receptive to preaching. In any case, it's best if you keep passive, and if you do confront him, try to be as non-confrontational as possible.

By the way, what are the verses he wants to post?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
It sounds as though he is in some sort of crisis, because these sorts of people often become more religious during times of hardships (they love to pray for things all positive).

I agree with the above; tell the guy to please remove his religion from the common area, for it is not appropriate. If he insists on his behavior being perfectly legitimate, then do the same. Keep some Nietzsche, Hitchens, and Dawkins lying around.....he ought to love that!

I encourage you to disregard fears of "lawyers", no matter how religious they are. You have rights, and common areas are not theist hubs.
(January 18, 2011 at 3:03 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: Ignoring is the best option.

Next is checking if there are any cameras. If not, a few adjustments to the Bible Verses are in order.

Private company?

You probably have two realistic choices;ignore it or leave.

(January 19, 2011 at 12:13 am)padraic Wrote: Private company?

You probably have two realistic choices;ignore it or leave.

Exactly what I was thinking.

If it is a private company, and they are the owners (are they?), they can display whatever they want in their company. Just because something is offensive to you is not sufficient to demand these verses to be taken down.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mike Litorus owns god without any verses no one 3 423 July 9, 2023 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: brewer
Photo Popular atheist says universe is not a work of art like a painting Walter99 32 3479 March 22, 2021 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Looking for comments / ideas for WIP project ABCs of Atheism Judashpeters 18 4611 April 9, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Judashpeters
  As an atheist, what makes your socks go up and down?? vorlon13 4 1544 May 18, 2016 at 7:03 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Demons coming down... Veritas 32 7119 December 25, 2015 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Atheists interpret bible verses sinnerdaniel94 307 45899 October 19, 2015 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Historian explains why Jesus ''mythers'' aren't taken seriously by most Historians TheMessiah 456 57044 July 1, 2015 at 6:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Natural explanations to former supernatural ideas Won2blv 12 3621 May 17, 2015 at 12:13 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Wink Peter Millican lays down the law. Pizza 4 1880 March 18, 2015 at 7:13 am
Last Post: Cato
  Atheism and Small Towns Vox Populi 14 2550 February 28, 2015 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus