Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 4:20 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A need for religion?
A need for religion?
I got into an argument with a coworker yesterday about whether or not a world without religion would be good. She argued that some people need religion in order to get through the day. I'm curious about what you all think regarding this point.
I argued that most people don't need a delusion to get through their day. The hope and happiness that these people get from their religion can be obtained elsewhere without the bad side effects that come from religion. When I was a Christian I believed that my life would be meaningless without religion, but now I'm even happier than before.
So, do some people have a need to hold onto their delusions? If so, then do you think it would be okay to strip them of these delusions?
RE: A need for religion?
She is absolutely right.

Some people are so stupid that they need to hold on to delusions because reality is too frightening.
(November 25, 2010 at 1:55 am)Move127 Wrote: I got into an argument with a coworker yesterday about whether or not a world without religion would be good. She argued that some people need religion in order to get through the day. I'm curious about what you all think regarding this point.
I argued that most people don't need a delusion to get through their day. The hope and happiness that these people get from their religion can be obtained elsewhere without the bad side effects that come from religion. When I was a Christian I believed that my life would be meaningless without religion, but now I'm even happier than before.
So, do some people have a need to hold onto their delusions? If so, then do you think it would be okay to strip them of these delusions?

Jesus in the New Testament said the truth would set you free. However he forgot to add that some people who have been stuck in prisons for all their lives would rather prefer to stay in their prisons than be set free.
undefined
I doubt it is necessary for them, it may be sufficient for them to live. No one necessarily dies because of the lack of gods, although the delusion may be sufficient for them to try to live.
In other words, religion is a handy and effective crutch that is made even more effective by the fact that it is a crutch shared countless others. The feelings of comfort offered by belief are magnified by the feelings of belonging that come with it.
Religion is like many other recreational drugs. Necessary? No. Appealing? Yes. Potential positive effects? Yes. Potential negative effects? In spades.

In the tiniest of doses, relatively harmless, when absorbed in frighteningly high doses however...

I liked the "God Delusion Calculator" found here:

"Faith is about taking a comforting, childlike view of a disturbing and complicated world." ~ Edward Current

[Image: Invisible_Pink_Unicorn_by_stampystampy.gif] [Image: 91b7ba0967f80c8c43c58fdf3fa0571a.gif] [Image: Secular_Humanist_by_MaruLovesStamps.gif]
(November 25, 2010 at 5:23 am)LastPoet Wrote: I doubt it is necessary for them, it may be sufficient for them to live. No one necessarily dies because of the lack of gods, although the delusion may be sufficient for them to try to live.
So this is something I don't understand. If you really believe, why would you want live? On the other side there is what you seek, paradise. Or maybe just maybe most religious folks aren't that confident of their own convictions.
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10997 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4976 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19951 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Why can't most Christians understand the need for separation of religion and govt? Mystical 30 5538 July 10, 2015 at 1:25 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why.... do we need religion anymore.... dyresand 5 1556 January 15, 2015 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: dyresand
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 50403 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Just ordered this anti-religion shirt. Need to be grilled for practice MusicLovingAtheist 20 4002 September 15, 2014 at 1:28 pm
Last Post: MusicLovingAtheist
  I need help naming this new religion Escherscurtain 14 2338 March 24, 2014 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: Escherscurtain
  Do some people need religion? Finn 26 6785 March 3, 2013 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: xXUKAtheistForTheTruthXx
  Does the world need religion, even if it doesn't need God? Darwinian 21 9864 January 25, 2012 at 9:31 am
Last Post: J.Wylie