Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 3:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello, Agostic theistism?
Photo 
Hello, Agostic theistism?
Hi My name is Liu Bei mixed with Leonidas, As you can see I am a history junky(but chemistry is my passion), I was wondering, I think I am a Agostic thiest, but am I?
I belive that there is something out there and it is impossible to know for sure. But I also belive in a religion, more as a most logical explanation kind thing. So what am I?(Religion wise)
RE: Hello, Agostic theistism?
Welcome friend...
Well.. Mostly religions demands absolute faith..(thats why we call them dogma.) But if you accept that you can't possibly know whether there is a god or not that makes you an agnostic.. May I ask which religion do you believe and why?
Quote:Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends.

Gandalf The Gray.
(September 7, 2010 at 10:49 pm)Liu Bei mixed with Leondias Wrote: I belive that there is something out there and it is impossible to know for sure. But I also belive in a religion, more as a most logical explanation kind thing. So what am I?(Religion wise)

Do you believe this something out there has the power or inclination to intervene in your life or the life of others? If yes, agnostic theist. If no, agnostic deist, I suppose. There's no way for us to tell what religion you are. Do you believe this deity might be Yahweh from the Hebrew Bible, a hat trick combo set of Jesus/Yahweh/Holy Spirit, Allah or one of the other hundreds of gods man has invented for himself.
Our Daily Train blog at jeremystyron.com

---
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea | By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown | Till human voices wake us, and we drown. — T.S. Eliot

"... man always has to decide for himself in the darkness, that he must want beyond what he knows. ..." — Simone de Beauvoir

"As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again." — Albert Camus, "The Stranger"
---
(September 7, 2010 at 10:49 pm)Liu Bei mixed with Leondias Wrote: Hi My name is Liu Bei mixed with Leonidas, As you can see I am a history junky(but chemistry is my passion), I was wondering, I think I am a Agostic thiest, but am I?
I belive that there is something out there and it is impossible to know for sure. But I also belive in a religion, more as a most logical explanation kind thing. So what am I?(Religion wise)

Welcome.

You sound a bit like an agnostic. You say you believe in a religion.Not sure I understand what you mean. To me,that implies theism. (OK,Buddhism is atheistic to many,but not all,)

Does it really matter,as long as you keep an open mind,and are willing to question,to learn and to change when necessary?

A broad definition,from Wikipedia:

Quote:Agnosticism is the view that the truth value of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, but also other religious and metaphysical claims—is unknown or unknowable.[1] Agnosticism can be defined in various ways, and is sometimes used to indicate doubt or a skeptical approach to questions. In some senses, agnosticism is a stance about the similarities or differences between belief and knowledge, rather than about any specific claim or belief.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

(September 7, 2010 at 11:21 pm)everythingafter Wrote:
(September 7, 2010 at 10:49 pm)Liu Bei mixed with Leondias Wrote: I belive that there is something out there and it is impossible to know for sure. But I also belive in a religion, more as a most logical explanation kind thing. So what am I?(Religion wise)

Do you believe this something out there has the power or inclination to intervene in your life or the life of others? If yes, agnostic theist. If no, agnostic deist, I suppose. There's no way for us to tell what religion you are. Do you believe this deity might be Yahweh from the Hebrew Bible, a hat trick combo set of Jesus/Yahweh/Holy Spirit, Allah or one of the other hundreds of gods man has invented for himself.

My take on deism is actually that we don't know the mind or nature of God, including to what extent God is involved in developments. It's not "God has abandoned the universe" but "I see no reason to believe in a personal God." much the same way atheism isn't "there is no god" but "I see no reason to believe in any god or gods."

Theism is believing not only in a personal god but that we do know the mind of God, including what it wants and what it hates.

I know that's not what the dictionary says but remember that the same dictionary often defines atheism as a "denial of God". The dictionaries seem to be written from a theist perspective.

My advice to Leondias is to pick up a copy of "Age of Reason" by Thomas Paine and see if that clicks.
Just to add if anyone was curious:

What I mean by my identity as an "agnostic deist" is that I do have my doubts. Sort of my way of saying "I could be wrong".
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(September 7, 2010 at 10:49 pm)Liu Bei mixed with Leondias Wrote: I belive that there is something out there and it is impossible to know for sure.
You couldn't ask for a better definition of "agnostic theism".

By the way, there is an 'n' in agnostic Wink
Sorry about misspelling Agnostic, anyway to answer some questions I mean that I think that there is no way to know for sure but I have faith to perticular religion because I think it makes more sense(than Judism,Christianism,etc.) but I know that it may be false no matter how much somebody(mostly me) means. Honestly I follow Hellenic Polytheistism, but I have the sense to know because there are over 10000 religions in the world any of them could be wrong/right.

P.s I belive in this religion due to the fact it makes more sense than Christianity and I have done alot research on it, but again my sense tells me not follow any thing directly.
P.s.s Thank you for the warm greeting.
(September 8, 2010 at 10:26 am)Liu Bei mixed with Leondias Wrote: Sorry about misspelling Agnostic, anyway to answer some questions I mean that I think that there is no way to know for sure but I have faith to perticular religion because I think it makes more sense(than Judism,Christianism,etc.) but I know that it may be false no matter how much somebody(mostly me) means. Honestly I follow Hellenic Polytheistism, but I have the sense to know because there are over 10000 religions in the world any of them could be wrong/right.

P.s I belive in this religion due to the fact it makes more sense than Christianity and I have done alot research on it, but again my sense tells me not follow any thing directly.
P.s.s Thank you for the warm greeting.

Welcome,

First, the Greek Gods are so full of baddassery that i cannot blame you Big Grin
Now, since you admit that any religion can be wrong, i would say you are an agnostic, because as others stated every religion demands complete faith.
Also, I do personally think that the Hellenistic Pantheon has not a shred of evidence, so to me it is nonsense to believe in it. But since it is unlikely that you act upon those beliefs in a manner that could harm others or yourself, i do not mind it too much.
Welcome

Actually, regarding the 'problem of evil', polytheism answers it better than monotheism, since it makes more sense to explain the evils of the world with the personal whims of a series of deities each with their agendas, than with a benevolent, omnipotent and omniscient entity that is self-refuting with the existence of 'evil'. However, in light of the evidence all remains the same, there is no evidence of such pantheon to exist.
I have to agree with that claim no evidense, yet I follow it but i not a priest or anything to the fact there is no reason to be(if you are a follower[or not] you still go to the same place based on how you lived, which helped me make my choice), but there is no way for me to say that I am sure Zeus(Ares,Athena,Hermes, etc) exists. One time i got to cocky with that and fell on my face. Never gonna make that mistake again, even though I am 14.