Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 8:53 am

Poll: How long before Catholicism is a dead religion?
This poll is closed.
Within 50 years.
15.79%
3 15.79%
Within 100 years.
15.79%
3 15.79%
Within 1000 years.
36.84%
7 36.84%
Never?
31.58%
6 31.58%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The death of Catholicism.
The death of Catholicism.
It seems that Catholicism is becoming more and more secular by the day.  With Francis' proposed decentralization of the Church and its declining numbers throughout first-world nations, how long does the Catholic Faith have left until it is abandoned completely?
RE: The death of Catholicism.
(December 31, 2015 at 7:53 pm)Jehanne Wrote: It seems that Catholicism is becoming more and more secular by the day.  With Francis' proposed decentralization of the Church and its declining numbers throughout first-world nations, how long does the Catholic Faith have left until it is abandoned completely?

Hard to tell.  I think it will hang on for a while.  Francis is extremely popular, you know.  I think the dwindling supply of priests, celibacy, scandals, and the subjugation of women will play a role in its near future.   Parishes are closing in the US at an alarming rate, because of the lack of available priests.  Three churches in my area have gone to larger buildings and fewer weekly Masses, because there weren't enough priests to cover the services.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
Now that Europe has turned increasingly secular and American catholics don't pay much attention to it if it is the least bit inconvenient they are making an effort to spread to Africa/Asia.  Religion always thrives where ignorance is strong but there are lot of competitors for a decreasing share of a market.

I suspect that the church will be unrecognizable in 50-100 years.
Yeah, in the first world not long. I was raised Catholic and most of my parish were elderly women. Catholics in the US are literally dying off. The religion makes no sense and plus it's boring. The 500 most boring experiences of my life were all going to church.

In Latin America however the church is still very influential and young people are still religious. It's hard to see it being gone from Latin America any time soon.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
At some point some variety/sect of Islam is going to lob a nuke at the Vatican.

As to what happens afterwards, Idunno.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(December 31, 2015 at 8:06 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: Catholics in the US are literally dying off. The religion makes no sense and plus it's boring.

I've heard quite the opposite, with Latinos streaming into the country and already making up a considerable minority.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Die? Probably not. Morph into something else is more like it.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(December 31, 2015 at 8:03 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Now that Europe has turned increasingly secular and American catholics don't pay much attention to it if it is the least bit inconvenient they are making an effort to spread to Africa/Asia.  Religion always thrives where ignorance is strong but there are lot of competitors for a decreasing share of a market.

I suspect that the church will be unrecognizable in 50-100 years.

There is a lot of christian persecution in Asia no abrahamic god is wanted there.
They pretty much know how the abrahamic religions are and want nothing to do with it.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(December 31, 2015 at 8:16 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: At some point some variety/sect of Islam is going to lob a nuke at the Vatican.

As to what happens afterwards, Idunno.

I doubt isis would get there hands on a nuke no one is going to leave a nuke sitting around.
I really doubt they would be able to get one without us noticing.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(December 31, 2015 at 7:53 pm)Jehanne Wrote: It seems that Catholicism is becoming more and more secular by the day.  With Francis' proposed decentralization of the Church and its declining numbers throughout first-world nations, how long does the Catholic Faith have left until it is abandoned completely?

The thing you've got to remember about the Junta pope is that he's more pr savvy than what preceded him, but theologically little difference exists, between him and, say, pope Nazi. You have to look not at what he is saying to the secular western media, but what he says to people he securely believes are true followers. What he is telling them are the same messages peddled by the rcc since the 1860's. Look at what he said when in the Philippines a few years ago, his message was misogynistic and homophobic baiting, or even his hour long chat with your one who wouldn't do her job and issue marriage certs to gay couples.

He's clever enough to know that if he lays on enough smaltz and doublespeak the western media will be too lazy to investigate his true message.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jesus and Mary, In Catholicism and Islam Ahriman 32 2114 August 25, 2021 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Ahriman
  Stephen Fry and Christopher Hitchens against Catholicism Edwardo Piet 2 1161 May 14, 2017 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A new flavor of Catholicism? Zenith 0 695 March 7, 2017 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: Zenith
  Catholicism is crazy too watchamadoodle 31 5488 February 15, 2015 at 6:34 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Catholicism ducketto 197 32819 December 1, 2014 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  And now for a Pet the Dog moment for Catholicism.... Rev. Rye 11 5191 April 16, 2010 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: TheMultiverseTheory
  Catholicism & Self-Hatred! Kyuuketsuki 0 1454 August 11, 2009 at 3:34 am
Last Post: Kyuuketsuki