Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 5:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imagine....
Smile 
Imagine....
Just pondering on what the world would be like without any religions. Would everyone run amok without the fear of damnation to keep us all in check?

Would there still be wars? Probably cos humans will fight over anything.

Over population wouldn't be a problem cos birthcontrol would be ok.

What else might be different if religion never existed?
RE: Imagine....
(June 27, 2010 at 9:11 am)mem Wrote: Just pondering on what the world would be like without any religions. Would everyone run amok without the fear of damnation to keep us all in check?

There's a meme about that

[Image: 31154_396908642940_125916327940_4014541_7722277_n.jpg]
That image is my desktop wallpaper. Heheh!

I think we've all tried to imagine such a world, mem. Honestly, no one will ever know.

By the way, this doesn't seem like the right forum for this thread. This is for deconversion stories.
My apologies Paul. I posted from my iPhone and hit the wrong forum thingie. I tried to change it but I couldn't Sad
There would most probably be wars nationalism, differing ideologies and human nature itself what make war pretty much inevitable.
Overpopulation would still be a problem, as poorer countries might not have access to the birth control and in addition poverty would probably still bring it about anyway. In addition if fewer people died in religious wars, that would be a contributing factor.

My depressing opinion Wink
If religion hadn't burnt some of humanity's greatest minds at the stake, if religion hadn't sent men to war in the form of a crusade only to kill off fellow human beings because of their beliefs, if religion hadn't burnt down a fucking roman library containing 200 fucking years of knowledge because it contradicted it's beliefs, if religion hadn't sent planes into buildings in the aim to take lives, if religion hadn't interfeared with the progress of science, if religion didn't convince people to blow themselves up all in the belief that there'll end up in some paradise, if only religion didn't try to stop life saving blood donation, if only religion didn't prevent doctors from treating their patients and if only religion didn't brainwash people to discriminate against other beliefs or lack therof. We would be much MUCH better off!

Blissful delusion does nothing for humanity. Religion provides nothing for humanity. Religion holds humanity back from everything.

We would have been in a far better world if religion had either died out a long time ago or if religion never existed. Religion knows as much as the population does...then again I think it knows less.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
I think we would be fighting about "whose atheism is better." There was a south park episode about thatTongue cartman waiting for nintendo wee.. You should watch if you haven't..
Quote:Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them, Frodo? Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends.

Gandalf The Gray.
I see evolution as a natural part of our necessary (at first) cultural evolution that now has really overstayed it's welcome. It is now something that humanity as a whole should have outgrown many years ago.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13...gests.html
(June 28, 2010 at 11:31 am)darkwolf176 Wrote: I see evolution as a natural part of our necessary (at first) cultural evolution that now has really overstayed it's welcome. It is now something that humanity as a whole should have outgrown many years ago.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13...gests.html

Yeah, I agree. Religion and magic were useful when we didn't have any scientific explanations for stuff. As the late great Levi-Strauss put it, wrong explanations are often better than no explanation at all. But religion has ceased to have any function other than social control- imo a bad function.

What seems to be happening world-wide is that atheism is growing, but so is fundamentalism. The middle ground- the position that religion and rationality can somehow be reconciled- is being squeezed. I only hope that we, rather than the fundies, end up being the winners. Imo its by no means certain that we will.
He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche
(June 27, 2010 at 9:11 am)mem Wrote: Just pondering on what the world would be like without any religions. Would everyone run amok without the fear of damnation to keep us all in check?

Think Star Trek without the FTLS travel or teleporters.
(June 27, 2010 at 10:12 am)Ashendant Wrote: There's a meme about that

What the heck is Sexual Deflection?
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is God weaker than theists imagine, and is mankind stronger? invalid 6 2376 March 5, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Imagine: A Comic chimp3 8 757 March 4, 2020 at 7:50 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Imagine 'Murica without religion Foxaèr 10 2014 November 29, 2016 at 11:22 am
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  I Cannot Imagine... Retorth 77 17835 September 20, 2009 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13