Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 2:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tried to argue with a crazy person...
Tried to argue with a crazy person...
My most recent discussion on the internet with a theist was with someone that was more crazy than anyone i ever met.

A little background: his father apparently left him very early, and at 12 years old his mother suffered from an incurable condition. He had to stay home and look after her and in the end he had almost no human contact for the next 12 years, until his mother finally died of this illness. He got very depressed, attempted suicide at least once, was on at least 2 different prescription drugs, and spent all his time alone.

Then one day Jesus appeared to him in a vision. He cried tears of joy and his tears turned into bread that he ate. He then received numerous visions from God and now preaches about his message. He goes into the desert to pray and God answers all of his every prayers and speaks to him at least once a week. He also, of course, believes every single word of the Bible literally.

I have to say, some people are too far gone to be saved...
RE: Tried to argue with a crazy person...
Yep.

Bat-shit crazy.
I concur with Dr. Minimalist's diagnosis. Bat-shit crazy.
[Image: JustPlainNuts.gif]
What was the argument in question like?
Deluded
This guy sounds really genuinely barking mad. Its rarely worth trying to argue with someone like that. You're not so much talking to another human as talking to a psychiatric condition.
He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche
(May 8, 2010 at 1:13 pm)Watson Wrote: What was the argument in question like?

It wasnt much of an argument. I was trying to tell him that believing literally a book that talks about Noah's Ark is crazy. He replied saying Noah's Ark was found.
I told him that a book written by the followers of someone cannot be considered as objective. He replied by saying jesus told him, in person, that the New Testament is true....

at that point what can i do ?
Not much!
Never mud wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Every person is religious Ahriman 289 13648 November 2, 2023 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: no one
  Reason Jesus must have been a real person mrj 74 10325 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  You can be an immorale person and still promote christianity Kimba 12 1871 June 30, 2018 at 8:42 am
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Jerusalem, rapture, the coming of christ, and crazy evangelicals WinterHold 9 1413 May 25, 2018 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  I am a better person than God! chimp3 56 10420 May 24, 2018 at 1:07 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Religion: Just Plain Crazy Minimalist 10 2357 September 26, 2017 at 8:01 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Maybe I'm being crazy... BrokenQuill92 18 1993 November 21, 2016 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Just to show that the 'Murricans don't have the monopoly on christian crazy GUBU 5 1702 April 13, 2016 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Crazy Religious Clothes TubbyTubby 26 5155 March 9, 2015 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Catholicism is crazy too watchamadoodle 31 5468 February 15, 2015 at 6:34 am
Last Post: robvalue