Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 1:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TV and Religion
TV and Religion
I've been getting really into a show recently, and so it made me think of this topic. Plus every time I mention the show out of context, I confuse the shit out of Adrian.

Anyway, the show is Supernatural and it's basically an "Every urban legend, religion, paranormal thing is true, except bigfoot" premise. Kinda similar to how Buffy's mythology worked, and man do I love Buffy. Tongue

The major difference, however, between Buffy and Supernatural is the emphasis on Christian mythology. The show started out as mostly about ghosts and demons. In season 4 they introduced Angels into the storyline as well as the whole Christian apocalypse. It's a truly interesting take on Christianity, they angels are heartless dicks who act more like soldiers in the storyline. God is like dead beat dad, and Lucifer is the most honest of all of them. I kinda love it. They actually recently had an episode too, where all the other Gods from other mythologies (Greek, Hindu, Norse, etc...) got together to figure out how to stop the Christian apocalypse, and they were annoyed at the arrogance that the Angels where going to destroy their world. LOL

However, there are times when Christianity is introduced into a story and it makes me go...blegh. One example is Battlestar Galactica. This show was sooo good. Plot was amazing and it really grabbed you. But at the end, every loose plot thread was answered with "GODDIDIT" which kinda seemed like a terrible cop out and I disliked it heavily. But now I'm watching it's prequel Caprica, and the monotheists are like jihad terrorists and I'm intrigued, but hesitant after what happened with BSG.

So my question to you is this, Do you like the insertion of religious or supernatural elements into TV shows, movies, or books? Does it depend on how that religion and supernatural phenomena is used and how so?

I'm not questioning the ability of an atheist/skeptic to enjoy religious and paranormal media, but simply what works for your and what doesn't when you want to suspend your disbelief.

Also, fucking love Supernatural, especially Castiel. He's an Angel of the Lord. :3

Did I make this thread to mention about how much I love Supernatural? You bet your ass.

[Image: 4g4xgkjpg.gif]
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
RE: TV and Religion
Eilonnwy Wrote:So my question to you is this, Do you like the insertion of religious or supernatural elements into TV shows, movies, or books? Does it depend on how that religion and supernatural phenomena is used and how so?

I don't mind when such things are added to my entertainment... and I am a self proclaimed entertainment junkie. Christian mythology can be just as entertaining as Greek or Norse or Roman... or Tolkien mythology, in my opinion. The only times I don't like it are when it is nothing more than thinly veiled preaching or a complete cop-out way of wrapping things up in a nice little bow.

I read a Dean Koontz book recently (The Taking) and it was very interesting. It appeared as if aliens had snatched many of the adults in the world and some of the people that weren't snatched began gathering the children left behind. There were strange 'alien' beasties and what appeared to be huge 'ships' above the low lying haze that had settled over the world. And yes... it all turned out to be the 'Rapture'. I was so disappointed. It just didn't seem very imaginative or original to me and I know that Dean Koontz is better than that.

But I digress...

I have not seen the show 'Supernatural', but I was a huge 'Buffy' fan, so I'll probably check it out one of these days.
I'm not fond of when scifi shows introduce pro-religious concepts into the main plot line after running for a few years. I don't mind star trek episodes where they intorduce a god character as a one off. They usually find it isn't god after all or end up destroying it. I also don't mind shows like stargate where the religious theme is one instilled from the offset.
The odd shows like medium or the dead zone are okay but i wince every time they say the supernatural powers are a gift from god. Then again, I was enjoying the apocalyptic plot line in dead zone before they canned the show.
Hoi Zaeme.
Stargate is awesome. As far as Supernatural goes....I think a lot Christians would cringe at how their religion is represented, especially the Angels.

Common quote in the show: "Angels are dicks"

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I like the influence when it's not obvious. It has to be well done, or it fails. Lost has to be the epic example. Well it is for me right now. There's such a rich vein of greek myth stuff to be plundered. Well I guess all ideas of the ilk from around the world.
It's like SGU (Stargate-Universe) and Fringe - Crammed full of dumb religious references.
Oh man, I love me some Fringe.

(April 26, 2010 at 8:25 pm)Eilonnwy Wrote: Oh man, I love me some Fringe.

It's been better, season 2 has been really inconsistent.
God Is In The TV.
T H E • M U L T I V E R S E • T H E O R Y
(April 27, 2010 at 10:09 pm)TheMultiverseTheory Wrote: God Is In The TV.

The TV IS God.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10994 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4976 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19949 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 50389 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5222 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused