Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 2:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from Worldquest
Hello from Worldquest
Hello people. I'm Worldquest and I'm what you might call a christian (well not so much these days) hippy spiritualist type person. Pretty open minded really. I'm a musician too, with some pretty damn funky music under my belt. I've been to Stonehenge and Avebury in England and felt the vibes, seen the sun set, that sort of thing. Yep, that's it for now.
RE: Hello from Worldquest
(April 22, 2010 at 6:08 pm)Worldquest Wrote: Hello people. I'm Worldquest and I'm what you might call a christian (well not so much these days) hippy spiritualist type person. Pretty open minded really. I'm a musician too, with some pretty damn funky music under my belt. I've been to Stonehenge and Avebury in England and felt the vibes, seen the sun set, that sort of thing. Yep, that's it for now.

Hello Worldquest and welcome. It is always good to see believers come here whether it be to shout insulting nonsense that we can make fun of or actually have a real discussion with.

you said that you were "not so much" a christian this day ? if its a crisis of faith of any form, that has led you here, please post your concerns and the people of the forums will do what they can to answer...however these are atheist boards so dont expect much regarding pro-theism advice Smile

However if you are here to convert us, you can probably stop trying right away, i think that unless you manage to physically prove the existence of God, you will be wasting your time.

But i will not speak for everyone in this forum, so ill stick with welcome to the atheist boards Big Grin
(April 22, 2010 at 6:39 pm)Rwandrall Wrote:
(April 22, 2010 at 6:08 pm)Worldquest Wrote: Hello people. I'm Worldquest and I'm what you might call a christian (well not so much these days) hippy spiritualist type person. Pretty open minded really. I'm a musician too, with some pretty damn funky music under my belt. I've been to Stonehenge and Avebury in England and felt the vibes, seen the sun set, that sort of thing. Yep, that's it for now.

Hello Worldquest and welcome. It is always good to see believers come here whether it be to shout insulting nonsense that we can make fun of or actually have a real discussion with.

you said that you were "not so much" a christian this day ? if its a crisis of faith of any form, that has led you here, please post your concerns and the people of the forums will do what they can to answer...however these are atheist boards so dont expect much regarding pro-theism advice Smile

However if you are here to convert us, you can probably stop trying right away, i think that unless you manage to physically prove the existence of God, you will be wasting your time.

But i will not speak for everyone in this forum, so ill stick with welcome to the atheist boards Big Grin

No not a crisis of faith, just that I used to be into christianity but now I'm more into other beliefs, spiritualist stuff, and I haven't gone out of my way to give the christian stuff much thought. I guess I should.
Hi WorldQuest. I hate that hippy shit Big Grin Joke

"spiritualist" is a scary label for me. That's talking to dead people, ghosties and the like.

Pagan/ animist/ spiritual ...all these I like.
Frodo would rather talk to trees.

Big Grin
Great... more woo. Tongue
(April 22, 2010 at 6:48 pm)Worldquest Wrote:
(April 22, 2010 at 6:39 pm)Rwandrall Wrote:

No not a crisis of faith, just that I used to be into christianity but now I'm more into other beliefs, spiritualist stuff, and I haven't gone out of my way to give the christian stuff much thought. I guess I should.

Yeah im even more worried about spiritualist stuff than religion, because at least religion has boundaries while spiritualism can make the most average of people into a murdering nutcase Tongue

Also, its better to talk to trees than to talk to ghosts because i can, you know...see the trees Big Grin
(April 22, 2010 at 8:01 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Hi WorldQuest. I hate that hippy shit Big Grin Joke

"spiritualist" is a scary label for me. That's talking to dead people, ghosties and the like.

Pagan/ animist/ spiritual ...all these I like.

SOOKDevil
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Rwandrall, that's one way of looking at it. Another way of looking at it is that with religion, you're at the mercy of what the whole of the religion tells you, and you're expected to go along with a whole set of preset beliefs. Whereas with general beleifs, spiritual ways of seeing things, it's more a matter of what feels right to the individual. Religion tends to tie you into what seems a bit like a contract, but when you pick and choose, as I do, from whichever religion or tradition or anything at all, you're completely in charge of what you wish to believe and you can be totally honest with yourself. And there's no peer pressure. So in a sense, you do have boundaries, because the whole idea is to go with only that which feels right to you.

The one thing that most of you and I have in common is that we have made our own decisions on what to believe or reject. We haven't accepted the pressure and the boundaries of organised religions. In making that decision, you've gone one way, I've gone the other way. There was a time, a long time ago, when I was tempted to reject god (and for a few minutes I was an atheist while I pondered) but when I realised how flimsy my reasons for doing that were, I had a rethink and I realised that it wasn't god that I had a problem with, it was my circumstances. If I hadn't made that realisatin, I could well be logged on here as : Worldquest, Atheist.
(April 23, 2010 at 10:17 am)Worldquest Wrote: Religion tends to tie you into what seems a bit like a contract, but when you pick and choose, as I do, from whichever religion or tradition or anything at all, you're completely in charge of what you wish to believe and you can be totally honest with yourself.

I don't consider that to be honesty by any definition. It is nothing more than magical thinking. Honesty would be to base what you believe on the evidence before you.

(April 23, 2010 at 10:17 am)Worldquest Wrote: There was a time, a long time ago, when I was tempted to reject god (and for a few minutes I was an atheist while I pondered) but when I realised how flimsy my reasons for doing that were, I had a rethink and I realised that it wasn't god that I had a problem with, it was my circumstances.

That's because your atheism was not real. It was you trying to 'choose' what to believe. True atheism comes about when one realizes that none of that superstitious mythology has any basis in reality. From there, it all begins to make sense (as long as you educate yourself on the subject).