Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 12:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are theists more argumentative than us?
Are theists more argumentative than us?
You've probably heard it all before..."oh, you atheists are just dying for an argument, you're only interested in bigging yourselves up, blah blah blah..."

Ok I admit sometimes I can't help it but that's only because theists are so determined to ignore simple truths. They only see what they want to see, it kinda sums them up.

But in the spirit of fairness, who do we think is ultimately more deliberately argumentative? (I vote they are).
RE: Are theists more argumentative than us?
I think we have better arguments.
I don't believe one group is more or less argumentative than the other. Both sides think the evidence stacks up in their favour, or they make it a war of logical fallacies and semantics. Don't be fooled, atheists do the same thing.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I think atheists are more argumentative.
But thats only because they have more to argue against.
Theists have lots of law dogma and religious texts we can get our teeth into, we just dont believe in god.
They can attack evolution and science as much as they like but it is not needed to believe in evolution or other aspects of science to be an atheist just the ability to say 'no' to the question 'do you believe in god?'.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I think we atheistic types are quicker to be argumentative, because we constantly encounter the claims of religion and can't help disagreeing. Theists are usually (in my experience) more likely to dismiss the arguments than to join them.
I actively argue with theists every chance I get. It's my nature.
Theists argue for the existence of an intelligent creator of the universe, I can't speak for everyone but it seems the majority of Atheists are merely responding to that claim and counter-arguing for the apparent lack of evidence for any cosmic creator. It's a popular red herring to say we're contradicting them out of spitefulness, but in reality we're simply informing them of the unjustifiable claim after claim made by exposing the flaws or weaknesses in their argument - we're trying to explain to them they've failed on a basic level to understand what's required for an existence claim.

Eventually someday we can only hope for the sake of progress Theists will finally get a clue and realise its their privilege to believe whatever they want in their private time, but they have no right to push their unsubstantiated faith-based systems into our public lives and enforcing divisive religious beliefs onto government or state-owned institutions like the Court of law, business establishments, health care or our education systems. Evidence-free concepts such as god, angels and spirits have no place or belonging in children's science classes or within the workplace.
'Us' Do you mean we on this forum? Not that I've noticed,although the atheist here seem to be more rational for the most part.

If you mean 'as atheists' it's a meaningless question to me.

"As atheist' I assert "I do not believe in god(s)".I have no opinion on any other subject. As I make no claims, I have no burden of proof. Nor do have any obligation or need to argue my position with anyone.

BUT, I'm also a pedantic skeptic and will argue about just about anything. AND I'm also an intolerant old fuck who refuses to suffer fools.Overall, that means I have been known to say some very harsh things to apologists I consider especially deserving due to bloody minded,willull ignorance.

To answer your question: Yes,I guess I'm probably more argumentative than a lot of people, but that has nothing to do with my atheism.
I am of the persuasion that "atheists" are probaly more "argumentative" because they question everything.

And what they don't understand, they will research for evidence.

IF... that evidence is lacking.....watch out! One argument coming to a conversation near you.

my2c
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I just like to argue. Period.

I don't care what the subject is. If I'm well versed on both sides of an arguement I find it most entertaining to, as stealthily as possible, switch sides and argue for the defence (so to speak) in mid-stream.

Sometimes the hillbillies I know take a few moments to reconize what happened. Funny stuffs but it's one of those "you had to be there" to appreciate the humor in it.

Ya. Even if I have no interest in the subjects argued about, I'll pick a side, do minimal research (google) and get to argueing about it.

And I wonder why my family will leave me behind for gatherings..... Confused
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Young more likely to pray than over-55s - survey zebo-the-fat 16 1582 September 28, 2021 at 5:44 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Is God weaker than theists imagine, and is mankind stronger? invalid 6 2375 March 5, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Did Sai Baba deserve Nobel more than Mother Teresa? Fake Messiah 1 378 February 26, 2020 at 4:33 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Is religion simply more about control than a god? GODZILLA 24 2942 January 8, 2019 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Drich
  God can make infinitely more special/valuable things than this universe blue grey brain 84 9837 December 17, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Baphomet more American than 10 Commandments Foxaèr 13 1504 August 22, 2018 at 9:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is our universe more complex than a t-shirt or not? ReptilianPeon 17 3717 September 27, 2016 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Why Zeus is more real than the Christian God.... maestroanth 4 1829 May 5, 2016 at 7:08 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Theists Hate Being Parodied Even More Than They Hate "Sin" Minimalist 14 4179 April 21, 2016 at 3:19 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Study: Terrorists are motivated by Politics more than Religion Heat 23 4562 December 19, 2015 at 10:28 am
Last Post: abaris