Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 3:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christianity in Latin America
Christianity in Latin America
Howdy. So I live in Belo Horizonte, Brazil currently. One of the most astonishing things I have seen is just how deeply intertwined culture and religion is here. When you ask "how are you", or "tudo bem?", it is not uncommon to get a reply with an added "gracas a deus" or thanks to God. When someone is leaving you will very commonly hear "vai com deus" or go with God. The things that I have seen on TELEVISION about the sermons are jaw dropping. (I will try to find some good stuff on YouTube for you"

My question is do you know of any effort being made to spread awareness down here? Specifically in Brazil but anywhere in Latin America? Has anyone else had any experiences that were eye opening or alarming?
RE: Christianity in Latin America
http://askanatheist.tv/2011/08/22/an-atheist-in-brazil/
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
As much as Christers try to say we do, atheists generally don't have outreach programs.

Usually the push back against religion comes when a certain tipping point has been reached as far as the percentage of atheists in a population. Except electronically, it seems to mgr that the movement you speak of would come from the people living around you.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(May 28, 2015 at 7:00 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: A much as Christers try to say we do, atheists generally don't have outreach programs.
https://sundayassembly.com/public-charte...-assembly/

Quote:The Sunday Assembly Public Charter

The Sunday Assembly is a godless congregation that celebrate life. Our motto: live better, help often, wonder more. Our mission: to help everyone find and fulfill their full potential. Our vision: a godless congregation in every town, city and village that wants one.

We are here for everyone who wants to:

Live Better. We aim to provide inspiring, thought-provoking and practical ideas that help people to live the lives they want to lead and be the people they want to be

Help Often. Assemblies are communities of action building lives of purpose, encouraging us all to help anyone who needs it to support each other

Wonder More. Hearing talks, singing as one, listening to readings and even playing games helps us to connect with each other and the awesome world we live in.
You were saying?
Outreach programs, Buggy.

The thread is about programs that would affect Brazil/Latin America. I know you're not great at following along, but I felt going at a medium pace was at a level commensurate with your comprehension skills.

Clearly I was wrong.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Huggy,
The word generally seems to be kicking your ass.
(May 28, 2015 at 7:23 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Outreach programs, Buggy.

The thread is about programs that would affect Brazil/Latin America. I know you're not great at following along, but I felt going at a medium pace was at a level commensurate with your comprehension skills.

Clearly I was wrong.
Sunday assembly is an international organization....

http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/sunday-ass...1236573895

Quote:Sunday Assembly Rio de Janeiro - Coming Soon!

Sunday Assembly Rio
Sunday, 27 September 2015 from 11:00 to 14:00
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Again, you were saying?

(May 28, 2015 at 7:24 pm)Cato Wrote: Huggy,
The word generally seems to be kicking your ass.

The "generally" part I didn't have a problem with, it was the "As much as Christers try to say we do" part.
Outreach programs, Buggy. Sunday Assembly is no more an outreach program than the Sunday Service at a church is. I didn't say atheists don't congregate.

Do try and follow along. My point about Latin America is that people from America don't generally form missions to go down there and spread the word, as it were.

You couldn't be more of a laughable fool with your idiotic gotcha trolling.

The Op's question..

(May 28, 2015 at 3:49 pm)Glenn Wrote: My question is do you know of any effort being made to spread awareness down here?  Specifically in Brazil but anywhere in Latin America?  
My question to you SC is...

What is it exactly do you think an "outreach" program is supposed to provide?
(May 28, 2015 at 7:00 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: atheists generally don't have outreach programs.

We need out reach programs we need more atheist centers and even commercials for said centers and guards to keep crazy christers away. 

(May 28, 2015 at 8:42 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: The Op's question..

(May 28, 2015 at 3:49 pm)Glenn Wrote: My question is do you know of any effort being made to spread awareness down here?  Specifically in Brazil but anywhere in Latin America?  
My question to you SC is...

What is it exactly do you think an "outreach" program is supposed to provide?

A place of support with other like minded individuals and support so they know they are not alone. 
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  America's "best" Christian. Brian37 1 260 February 16, 2024 at 12:48 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 7091 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Christianity in America is so fucked up FreeTony 82 10391 October 16, 2014 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8581 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18524 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)