Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 2:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm In a Bad Mood And I Feel Like
I'm In a Bad Mood And I Feel Like
annoying jesus-freaks.

This is as good a place to start as any.

http://www.rationalrevolution.net/articl...tory.htm#3

Quote:Many people ask, "If Jesus didn't exist, then where did these stories come from?" "How would these stories emerge if someone did not in-fact inspire them?"

Pretty much every detail of the life of Jesus as presented in the Gospels relates back to some prior Hebrew scripture, mostly from the scriptures that we now call the Old Testament, though some elements of the Gospels appear to be based on other non-scriptural works as well. The life of Jesus is a story that was created by combining elements from many other Hebrew stories to create a pseudo-proto-typical savior figure. Christians have traditionally used the parallels between the story of Jesus and the Hebrew scriptures to claim that Jesus fulfilled many prophecies from the "Old Testament", but there are several problems with this claim.

First of all, even if every parallel between the story of Jesus and the Hebrew scriptures related back to a genuine prophecy there would still be nothing to show that the authors of the Gospels didn't simply base their stories on the prophesies. They would have known exactly what to write in order to "fulfill" the prophecies and we have nothing independent of the Gospels to attest to any of this.

Secondly, many of the parallels between the story of Jesus and the Hebrew scriptures don't relate back to prophecies, they simply relate back to other stories about different people, or simply to songs and poems.

Thirdly, as we will discuss later, some of the key elements of the Jesus story are based on mistranslations of the Hebrew scriptures, showing clearly that the authors of the Gospels were basing their accounts of Jesus on other texts and that there is no way to call those accounts "prophesy fulfillment".

Lastly, I call the Jesus Christ character of the Gospels a "pseudo-proto-typical savior" because the story of Jesus is definitely based on the Hebrew scriptures, but it is based on a misunderstanding of them.

Devil
RE: I'm In a Bad Mood And I Feel Like
Nice Smile

Bumping so it will annoy more of them Devil
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(April 12, 2010 at 7:10 am)Saerules Wrote: Nice Smile

Bumping so it will annoy more of them Devil

It's a lot to read. Price tends to be exhaustive and we all know they don't even read their bible!
As a former fundie I must admit that they are the ones that annoy me the most. I can't stand their faulty logic and their bullshit arguments based on scripture.
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

I find them all pretty annoying....especially the ones who ring my doorbell.
I once kept two Jehovahs witnesses standing in the hallway for two hours while I broke down their God to exactly what I think he is, a myth!

You have more patience than I do.
I have the patience of Job my friend. I can't do that all the time I have to be in the right mood, that day I was.

(April 12, 2010 at 12:13 pm)chatpilot Wrote: I once kept two Jehovahs witnesses standing in the hallway for two hours while I broke down their God to exactly what I think he is, a myth!

Have you seen the youtube video where two kids throw water balloons at Jehovah's witnesses? I can't remember if it was posted on this forum or not. If you haven't seen it, you should look it up.
Zalentine I have not seen that video I will look it up it sounds like fun.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you feel about all these creationists? suddenlymark 32 3407 August 15, 2023 at 8:01 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Bad News For Fundie Assholes Minimalist 11 1977 August 9, 2018 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
Question Does anyone else feel disgusted by religious words? Der/die AtheistIn 63 11703 January 17, 2018 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  How do you call someone who is religious only because it makes them feel happy? Der/die AtheistIn 38 7507 November 25, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: c172
  How Do Christians Feel About the Testimony of Muslims and Vice Versa? Rhondazvous 24 4595 September 22, 2017 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Bad Religion: How Trump is warping Christianity for his own gain. Foxaèr 4 1067 February 6, 2017 at 4:47 am
Last Post: GUBU
  I don't exactly feel the same way I once did. Ryantology 18 2735 January 26, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  I sorta feel like I didn't live up to my Dad's expecatations NuclearEnergy 22 2381 January 2, 2017 at 10:55 pm
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Should I feel guilty? mlmooney89 11 2108 June 24, 2016 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Do you feel as if religion creates sexual suppression GoHalos1993 31 3753 June 14, 2016 at 11:15 am
Last Post: John V