Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 3:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Why do people believe religious texts?
Why do people believe religious texts?
I simply can't understand why people believe in religious texts such as the Bible and the Qur'an. They have been changed so many times are written based on hearsay long after events that took place, contain events which are simply impossible and are full of so many contradictions.

Can someone explain why people so blindfully place their faith in them without question?

Thanks
RE: Why do people believe religious texts?
1. Because a lot of people really are that ignorant, 'blind' or just plain stupid.

2. Because people like holding on to beliefs that they value regardless of the truth value (or lack thereof) of such beliefs. In other words: They 'believe in belief'.

Other reasons too maybe but I can't think of any right this moment.

P.S: Welcome [to the forums].

EvF
On a further note apparently only 10% of Christians have read the entire Bible!

This is a bit shocking as it suggests that many live their lives by a book they have never even fully read!
(April 7, 2010 at 11:26 am)darkwolf176 Wrote: On a further note apparently only 10% of Christians have read the entire Bible!

This is a bit shocking as it suggests that many live their lives by a book they have never even fully read!

If the other 90% read the bible, all that would be left is the 10%.
They're raised to believe it. Majority of the religious people don't even know what is in their bible.
T H E • M U L T I V E R S E • T H E O R Y
My experience with most religious people has been consistent with your statistic. I asked almost every one of my class mates in high school why they believed in their religion and they mostly responded that they believed because that's what they were raised to believe, it's what their parents believe in, and tradition. I can't remember how many questioned 'well, how did everything come into existence if there wasn't a creator?'
Best comment I ever saw on the issue:

Quote:If we had opened our eyes to the light under the shadows
of St. Peter's at Rome, we should have been devout Catholics; born in the
Jewish quarter of Aleppo, we should have contemned Christ as an
imposter; in Constantinople, we should have cried "Allah il Allah, God is
great and Mahomet is his prophet!" Birth, place, and education give us our
faith. Few believe in any religion because they have examined the
evidences of its authenticity, and made up a formal judgment, upon
weighing the testimony. Not one man in ten thousand knows anything
about the proofs of his faith. We believe what we are taught; and those are
most fanatical who know least of the evidences on which their creed is
based.

--Brig. Gen Albert Pike, C.S.A.
People believe their "holy books" because they are raised to believe it. Imagine having a person who was never exposed to any religious teachings at all and then, when they reached 21, you gave them a Bible and told them to read it because it's the word of an all-powerful, all-loving, all-knowing deity. Would anyone really believe bullshit like the story of Noah's Ark? The story of Samson and Delilah? The story of Adam and Eve? The story of Jesus (virgin birth, walked on water, healed the sick with a touch of his hand, the resurrection)? This crap has to pounded into your head from an early age so that it will take root. Plus, the fact that your parents and most of your family and friends believe this is a powerful incentive for you to believe it, too.
Science flies us to the moon and stars. Religion flies us into buildings.

God allowed 200,000 people to die in an earthquake. So what makes you think he cares about YOUR problems?
I really wish they would at least question them. Sad
I questioned them. Even though I was raised in the most religious environment and area possible, I emerged 100% atheistic with no doubts. As someone who lives in the bible belt where lynching is common, you have to understand that brainwashing is so damn extreme it nearly makes one sick. Children are commonly scared shitless into christianity, and they're taught to hate homosexuals and atheists no matter how kind they are. It's terrible, but if I say or do anything I'll probably be killed....or at least shunned from my family.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1122 79806 Yesterday at 3:25 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 12983 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 666 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Why do some people condone hell? SuicideCommando01 45 5583 May 22, 2020 at 6:14 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 3981 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Prayers don't work so why do religious keep jabbing at it? Fake Messiah 65 9859 August 26, 2019 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Religious people in the medical field Foxaèr 35 7114 November 11, 2018 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Religious fundamentalists more likely to believe fake news OakTree500 30 3842 November 10, 2018 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: no one
  Why religious cannot agree. Mystic 46 8076 July 6, 2018 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: warmdecember
  Are religious people really afraid of death? Alexmahone 36 5065 July 3, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose