Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 17, 2024, 2:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blasphemy
Blasphemy
Seems a few people are a bit peeved by people who are blasphemous!

well blasphemy is the notion of disrespecting a god, but the notion of a god is still unproven, so I would say that if you want blasphemy laws, then you better come up with a proof of your god first !!!!

?
PS if you're about to post a reply and your response is going to be negative, improper, average, odd, obtuse, irrational, an argument, might change the focus, going off at a tangent or just mean ... go and find a maths forum to post on instead, they'll love you !!
RE: Blasphemy
Imagine you are a magic bean salesman, who sell useless beans for vast amounts of money - What could be better than getting to make a law that means that anyone who says your magic beans are useless gets sent to prison?

This is why there are blasphemy laws - to protect the magic bean salesmen.
Yes, a concept laid out by Robert G Ingersoll a century or so ago.

Quote:An infinite God ought to be able to protect himself, without going in partnership with State Legislatures. Certainly he ought not so to act that laws become necessary to keep him from being laughed at. No one thinks of protecting Shakespeare from ridicule, by the threat of fine and imprisonment.
-- Robert Green Ingersoll,
(February 15, 2015 at 7:18 pm)lifesagift Wrote: Seems a few people are a bit peeved by people who are blasphemous!

well blasphemy is the notion of disrespecting a god, but the notion of a god is still unproven, so I would say that if you want blasphemy laws, then you better come up with a proof of your god first !!!!

?

To be clear, I am AMAZED at the numbers of self proclaimed believers that presuppose they know better than God and utilize their own extra-biblical prejudices to reinterpret (or ignore) plainly written strictures, edicts, promulgations, rules, commandments and laws transmitted literally and inerrantly via Holy Scripture.

That's the blasphemy I find inexplicable and fucking annoying.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(February 15, 2015 at 7:44 pm)vorlon13 Wrote:
(February 15, 2015 at 7:18 pm)lifesagift Wrote: Seems a few people are a bit peeved by people who are blasphemous!

?

To be clear, I am AMAZED at the numbers of self proclaimed believers that presuppose they know better than God and utilize their own extra-biblical prejudices to reinterpret (or ignore) plainly written strictures, edicts, promulgations, rules, commandments and laws transmitted literally and inerrantly via Holy Scripture.

That's the blasphemy I find inexplicable and fucking annoying.

So you believe we should live by the OT laws? Really, can't you understand they are given to a people of God's choosing, it's plainly written the OT law isn't meant for the Christian people, only those who wish to save themselves by perfectly keeping these laws, give it a try, ooops, you slipped, time for Jesus.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
(February 15, 2015 at 7:18 pm)lifesagift Wrote: but the notion of a god is still unproven

That's blasphemy. Tongue

In my opinion, when people say that is kinda means:

Ohhhh I am so upset you talk about my god like that, you should not be able to express your opinion because there are so many other people you upset as well. Do you want us to be upset? DO YOU?
Is it blasphemy to say that almost everyone is more moral and intelligent than the fuckwit gods of the bible and quran?

Good. And their little robins to their batman suck too with their parlour tricks.

When you take insults of gods personally, you show your God is nothing but a projection of yourself.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Religions were created in order to facilitate control over ignorant societies. Every totalitarian government knows, that if you allow people to express dissenting views - their control over their subjects will be short-lived, especially if they'd come to power through the use of deception. And most religions are textbook totalitarian systems, in that they demand control - either direct, or indirect - over every aspect of human life. So why would they allow anyone to publicly criticize or reject their doctrines?

That's why - not even after most heinous crimes, committed against blasphemers, heretics and dissidents - religious leaders can't bring themselves to speak a word in defense of free speech (recent comments made by pope Whats-his-face in reaction to Charlie Hebdo murders are a good illustration of that, but that's by no means a new strategy). Threat of violence is still one of the main tools used by almost all religions - even if the "modern", "reformed" ones rely on someone else to actually kill people. "You see what extremists do, when you f**k with religion? You better be nice to all religions from now on, just to be safe..."
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
It's funny how Christians say that we don't have to live by the OT laws because of Jesus, except when the subject turns to homosexuality. Then, it's Leviticus day and night.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(February 16, 2015 at 2:19 am)Godschild Wrote: So you believe we should live by the OT laws? Really, can't you understand they are given to a people of God's choosing, it's plainly written the OT law isn't meant for the Christian people, only those who wish to save themselves by perfectly keeping these laws, give it a try, ooops, you slipped, time for Jesus.

GC
Remember, you're talking about a book that was written by tribes of goat-herders who made up the same stories about themselves and the gods just like everyone else who ruled over them did.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Blasphemy Thread Disagreeable 49 3388 October 17, 2023 at 10:00 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  BLASPHEMY! Minimalist 17 3002 June 17, 2015 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Blasphemy, I can and I will...... Brian37 18 2181 March 30, 2015 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Pakistan disabled girl arrested for blasphemy frankiej 36 11929 August 24, 2012 at 11:29 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Blasphemy II Cinjin 129 48546 June 25, 2012 at 11:26 pm
Last Post: Cinjin
  Blasphemy Day International 2009 moodydaniel 0 1597 March 4, 2009 at 11:15 am
Last Post: moodydaniel