Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 7:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ministering
Ministering
I often hear the term minister as in, can I minister to you, usually on American shows etc. but thinking about it I'm not exactly sure what it means and as I've never been ministered to (at least I don't think I have) could someone give me an example of what it entails? I mean, what exactly is the process of ministering and what do they say?

Is it as sanctimonious as I suspect?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Ministering
Probably. Typically, ministering to someone involves a detailed look at their belief and getting them to line up with the minister's beliefs. Unless you've requested ministering, in which case it usualy more of a consoling nad healing talk, IMO.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Sounds awful.. So it's basically telling people what to believe :S
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
And it typically comes off more as showing them where there beliefs are wrong, then feeding them drivel. It usualy leaves, for a person in blind faith, more questions than answers. I'm sure you'd be just fine, and no less for wear.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
I understand 'ministering' to mean come alongside. mentor, assist, <insert buzzword here>. If someone were to minister to your needs it wouldn't neccessarily involve religion as in preachy - but religion as in helping in the model of.
(March 1, 2010 at 7:43 am)tackattack Wrote: And it typically comes off more as showing them where there beliefs are wrong, then feeding them drivel. It usualy leaves, for a person in blind faith, more questions than answers. I'm sure you'd be just fine, and no less for wear.

That was part of my deconversion - the essence of more questions than answers, provoking a detailed examination of my beliefs and others. That examination revealed a disturbingly flakey belief system propped up by hearsay and irrationality.
What is the function that a clergyman performs in the world? Answer: he gets his living by assuring idiots that he can save them from an imaginary hell.

-- H L Mencken,
The best form of Ministry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaM-j7pzWsg

Woman:
When you're dreaming, you feel alive..

Demonic Voice:
The truth is so black. Once more, this is the message. Our way of reasoning
gives way for our notable hour.This has always been.

The light pours over me as I run for cover. They tried to pull me in, but I was
already there.

Woman:
Oh I had this dream one night I was like lying on my stupid futon couch foldout
bed. And it was like really hot it just started summer, and um it was really
hot. I had like no fan or anything. I was lying there and I had this weirdest
weirdest weirdest like nightmare. I had this nightmare where they're like
dreams but they're not dreams they're real ya know you feel as though you're
alive when you're dreaming, you think you're alive when you're dreaming. I had
this dream where this angel was coming up, like up my fire escape cause I don't
have bars on my windows cause I don't believe in bars on my windows. And she
was there in my room I was lying there and she came and she kissed me and I
woke up and I looked at Tom. Do you believe in angels?

Demonic voice:
No.
"The mind is a terrible thing to taste" is a great album. But I like the redline/whiteline version of "Jesus built my hotrod" even more.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Isn't "ministering" inflicting god awful shit on your fellow man??Angel Cloud

Got bugger all to do with the ministrees belief or lack of??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5