Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 12:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
religion and racism
religion and racism
news article

Comments? True or false?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
RE: religion and racism
I'd like to read the actual paper and not just the abstract. For the moment it seems to me to have merrit, at least for the time being. With increasing globalization and more races entering more diverse religions I think this effect will dilute eventually.

Of course some religions are inherently racist, look at how Mormonism portrays black people as cursed.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I'd be interested in the actual paper as well. They're methodology might provide a bit more insight than the article. Overall, I wouldn't be surprised. Most Christians don't have the best track record for being tolerant and it's difficult to be tolerant and have a strict moral code at once. Also, the civil rights movement only made the final progress 50 years ago so there are plenty of racists remaining from then.

On a side note I think this is good progress for fox news.
Given the teaching Christians should be less racist but they're just a bunch of people with similar prejudices to everyone else.
For a laugh read the comments underneath.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(February 12, 2010 at 4:30 am)tackattack Wrote: news article

Comments? True or false?

Yes.

I'm always bemused by the numbers of people who seem unable to grasp the difference between correlation and causation. My own position is that the cause of racism is xenophobia,which is part of human condition and probably hard wired. It has nothing [directly] to do with religious beliefs or ideology.(or the lack thereof)
I am shocked Fox would print such an article. It de facto insults their main viewers as being racists. I think the cruelest joke we played on the black man was to give him the white man's bible...Okay. now we are going to learn about the talking snake (snicker, snicker).
"On Earth as it is in Heaven, the Cosmic Roots of the Bible" available on the Amazon.
I can't really make a good assessment based on one small paragraph, but it's understandable that some religious people tend to discriminate against those who don't identify with them on a very basic level. Could it also have to do with this study being conducted in California with illegal immigration being a hot topic for the last few decades? Edit: I read it wrong. disregard the last sentence. Seems like they did more secondary research than primary.

I don't think this is necessarily representative of all religious and non-religious people.
Leo, if you follow the link trail you get to the science journal: http://psr.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/14/1/126

It apparently was a meta-analytical study, which generally tend to make me raise my eyebrow, however I have heard of other studies that come to a somewhat similar conclusion, so yeah, I believe it. But as Padraic pointed out, correlation does not equal causation and it would be interesting to see if there is a causal mechanism that triggers racism and religiosity.

One study, which was discussed at length on Reasonable Doubts, attempted to study latent racism. Since it's not socially acceptable to be racist, a lot of it is hidden in actions and code words. Anyway, this study had people took a survey about religion and then they were asked to to see a movie to study for some made up reason. They had a choice of two rooms, one with a white guy and one with a black guy. Sometimes they would be told the movie is the same so it doesn't matter which room they choose, or that the movie was different and they could choose the one they preferred.

The findings showed that people who were more liberal in their religious beliefs would choose to sit next to the white or black guy with a rate that was statistically insignificant.

What was interesting was the more fundamental people significantly chose the white guy when they had a choice of the movie and could hide their choice with like or dislike of a movie. When the movie was the same they significantly chose the black guy so as not to appear racist. Granted it's hard to specifically say why a person was making the choices, but the statistics were such that was beyond noise. I wish I knew the name of the study so I can post it here. I'll have to try and look it up when I'm not too busy.

Anyway, I think that a part of the reason religious people might be significantly more racist is that when you're believing things on dogma and faith, already you're thinking uncritically, and with that lack of critical thinking it's more likely you would accept things like "Whites are superior" etc...
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I did follow that link but it is just an abstract. That's whz I wrote I'd like to read the actual paper and not just the abstract.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Belief in white Jesus linked to racism Foxaèr 91 6527 January 1, 2022 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Abrahamic roots of racism, which one is worst Sammin 2 1177 October 6, 2018 at 10:09 am
Last Post: brewer
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10888 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4937 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19904 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49788 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5209 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused