Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 2:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One traditional funeral pyre please!
One traditional funeral pyre please!
A devout Hindu has won his bid for the right to be cremated on a traditional funeral pyre.

Read full story

Well congratulations - you've wasted taxpayer's time and money when you could have had the funeral held outside the UK, and just how are you supposed to know if you'll ever get a 'proper' cremation after you're dead?

Hinduism 1
Common-sense 0
RE: One traditional funeral pyre please!
I don't see the problem really. If the guy wants his body to be burned on a pyre and it can be done without endangering other people, then why not?
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Funeral pyre's look cool. Sounds better than any funeral I've been to.
It is a compromise win in a case decided over administrative law laid under pollution and sanitary guidelines.
Governments shouldn't have any control over how people want to have their funerals, unless their wishes affect the liberty or lives of others. This man challenged the law and won...good on him.
I'd like to be cremated in a shroud,or indeed,nothing at all.

But that ain't gonna happen. Not because of the law but because a few large American companies control the funeral industry in Australia,and won't do it. My sister in law is funeral director for a large company.Those bastards won't even let you have a cardboard casket. If you insist,they won't do the service. Also lots of luck tying to forego embalming,even for a cremation. Nuts,I know,it's about money.

Here you can legally bury someone in your backyard is you want,and you do not need a funeral director or any casket at all, but there seem to be a lot of forms to complete and lot of running around..

When my dad died,we had him cremated and [ilegally] scattered his ashes into a local river,as he had asked.

ALL cremations are technically difficult due the heat required to reduce bone to ash. There are always some bones left,often a lot of the skull. Those bones are pulverised at the crematorium.Traditional Hindu cremations are notoriously inefficient ,unburnt remains are dumped into a river,preferably the Ganges.

I would only permit a traditional Hindu cremation with strict controls in place.
(February 11, 2010 at 10:27 pm)padraic Wrote: would only permit a traditional Hindu cremation with strict controls in place.

I agree. And if I read the article correctly the person in question is fine with that, as long as he gets to burn on a pyre.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mock funeral festival Fake Messiah 8 896 April 28, 2019 at 3:10 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Reading the bible: please help! ignoramus 71 15030 October 8, 2018 at 1:52 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 16792 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Dark matter kicks ass again. Please watch. ignoramus 3 924 June 4, 2018 at 11:29 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Please describe your god's loyalty reward scheme. I_am_not_mafia 101 25181 November 23, 2017 at 9:23 am
Last Post: Cod
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Foxaèr 13 3679 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Has anyone been to a funeral where the individual goes to hell? brewer 27 5665 May 8, 2017 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Our theists of all labels please answer.... Brian37 92 12372 April 25, 2017 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Can anyone please refute these verses of Quran (or at least their interpretations)? despair1 34 6158 April 24, 2016 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Please give me evidence for God. Socratic Meth Head 142 22007 March 23, 2016 at 5:38 am
Last Post: robvalue