Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 6:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do some people really need Jesus?
Do some people really need Jesus?
I had an interesting realization yesterday that made me question the ethics of my outspoken atheism. I live and have lived with people who have a history of extensive drug and alcohol abuse, violence, prison, and broken relationships. The substance abuse rehab that I attended was full of people that had these kind of issues. Teen Challenge (unfortunately named, BTW, since it was for adults) espouses the dubious claim that they are "the proven cure for the drug epidemic" claiming an 85% success rate. The entire program consisted of a year long indoctrination of daily bible reading, bible classes, church, homework assignments, tests, and work "unto the Lord" (meaning, no pay). It was a "Jesus saves" school to basically become a bible-learned born again Christian. So I know all about indoctrination and brainwashing. It just didn't work on me.

I currently live with a person who had spent time in prison, and was a former drug and alcohol abuser who reads the Bible morning and night. This person is in her 50s and is about as ignorant as a post. I avoid making waves by just being quiet, because all of her thought processes and decision-making revolves around prayer, and belief in demons. I know many people who are like this (brainwashed, extremely gullible, paranoid, and prone to violence), and find it is wise to simply let people dwell in their delusion. I honestly think if some believers became disenthralled with their beliefs, internal chaos would ensue, resulting in a relapse of further antisocial behavior.

For those of you Trekkies out there: Remember the 2-part Star Trek episode called "The Menagerie?" Captain Pike had become disabled, had no use of his limbs, and incapable of speech. Spock took him back to the planet of the pilot episode on which the aliens of the world allowed Pike to live a normal life as a fully functional man living a normal life with a beautiful woman. But it was all in his head.

Many disfunctional people live in society seemingly able to function ONLY because of a belief in a "higher power" or whatever works for them. I know many people that are just hanging on because of their delusion, hence the equivocal claim that Christian rehabs are "the answer." So, is it responsible to try to convince people that they are delusional? Or, is it responsible to live and let live? The only problem I have with the live and let live idea is that there are people in authority with the delusion that make decisions for all of us, and others with the delusion lend votes and power to their name.
RE: Do some people really need Jesus?
Nope.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Some people really need alcohol too. Doesn't mean it's good for you too commit the equivalent of an intellectual lobotomy.
All people need Jesus.
People need the fsm more than Jesus.
I just need reliable wifi, not jesus
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(October 15, 2014 at 6:28 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: All people need Jesus.

You are unable to speak for anyone except yourself, chad.

I need water, I need energy. Jesus has never and almost certainly will never figure in my list of needs or indeed wants.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Some people need an enema.
(October 15, 2014 at 6:28 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: All people need Jesus.

I don't.

Some people need many different things to lean on to get them through life.

Some need religion. Some need alcohol. Some need drugs.

Or, at least, they claim they need these things.

It's often the easy way to get through life without having to stand up for themselves.
Dying to live, living to die.
Instantiated mythology is pretty far down my list of needs.

A new camera, another big screen tv and the new mustang trump Jesus.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 2056 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Does some people need God? purplepurpose 29 3179 January 17, 2021 at 9:25 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Why don't some people understand lack of belief? Der/die AtheistIn 125 22975 April 20, 2018 at 7:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Matt Dillahunty's great argument against some people who deny Evolution Heat 1 2295 November 11, 2015 at 4:12 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Question Absolute Truth (I know, but I need some help) Spacetime 60 13431 October 3, 2015 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Rant Mode. Some Religious People Are Really Good. Mudhammam 10 2378 March 17, 2015 at 3:22 pm
Last Post: FatAndFaithless
  Need some help DIRTY_DEEDS_93 32 5300 December 30, 2014 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  Need some help here! TheGamingAtheist 15 2863 July 15, 2014 at 10:32 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  Some questions that need to be answered therationalist 19 4851 April 8, 2014 at 9:21 am
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Do atheists need some faith? nazra7 110 41068 July 30, 2012 at 2:48 am
Last Post: CliveStaples