Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 9:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread for all theists
Thread for all theists
This thread is also open for agnostic theists that don't practice religion and deists.

As a theist, you believe at least one god exists and you may practice a specific religion. My question for you is - What are the main reasons/arguments you have to believe your god is true or that your religion is right?

I'm curious about the most prevalent reasons for theists to have faith, but try to not commit ridiculous fallacies such as 'my religion is right because most people practice it'

If you have more than one argument to list, please enumerate them (1...2...3) to organize your reply and distinguish reasons from each other
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

RE: Thread for all theists
My father makes his argument like this:

We are essentially very clever apes. It is therefore absurd to assume we do, or can understand everything about the universe. Physicists like to claim that the laws of physics are universal but this (these are his words, not mine) is an arrogant assumption that we cannot be sure of. For example neutrinos have been clicked going faster than the speed of light, proving that our notion of the speed of light being a speed limit is absurd. It seems likely that we cannot understand the universe around us. Therefore the idea of some higher intelligence is not unfeasible.

O_O

When I try to explain the physics to him he calls me a liar or uneducated, when he's a lawyer and I'm an engineer. When I point out that going from "we don't know" to "we can't know, therefore God" is unproductive he grants me that but still sticks to his beliefs.
(July 17, 2014 at 6:45 pm)Natachan Wrote: My father makes his argument like this:

We are essentially very clever apes. It is therefore absurd to assume we do, or can understand everything about the universe.
I'm inclined to agree with your father in this. As for the existence of God... I don't subscribe.
@Natachan
-Physicists like to claim that the laws of physics are universal but this (these are his words, not mine) is an arrogant assumption that we cannot be sure of.
There is no evidence that the physical laws vary from different... universes. We do not even have evidence that multiverses exist.

For example neutrinos have been clicked going faster than the speed of light, proving that our notion of the speed of light being a speed limit is absurd.
Ooh, I remember this experiment. If neutrinos are proven to be faster than light, Einstein's whole theory of relativity will drop in water. The conclusion, however, was that the speed of neutrinos is consistent with the speed of light. So, the theory stays, unless the scientists at CERN plan to repeat this. Maybe they will get a different measurement, who knows.
He argues that they could be different in other galaxies in this universe. This is when I tell him, no, they can't. I explained quantum tunneling and he says I'm making it up. Drives me nuts.
From my own personal experience and growth as an individual. It works for me.
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, purifies us from all sin.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To All Those Theists Who Aren't In It For The Swag Edwardo Piet 17 2974 June 2, 2018 at 8:53 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Our theists of all labels please answer.... Brian37 92 12434 April 25, 2017 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Brian37
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 21413 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 13108 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  Battle Thread (Atheists vs. Theists) ScienceAf 32 5740 August 19, 2016 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: abaris
  A thread that smashes ALL abrahamic religions Rokkein 15 4848 November 27, 2015 at 2:54 am
Last Post: washed
  Essential Reading for Theists (A book recommendation thread) Clueless Morgan 18 4350 July 14, 2015 at 5:13 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Questions for theists (and ex-theists, too) Longhorn 15 4977 April 23, 2015 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: orangebox21
  Theists: What makes your claims right and the claims of other theists wrong? Ryantology 29 8473 March 21, 2014 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Phatt Matt s
  Something all theists should all keep in mind. Creed of Heresy 67 28437 September 30, 2012 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet