Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 8:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something I found
Something I found
I was going through my old school stuff and I found this prose poem (I guess it's called) that was for a Creative Writing class. I'd like to know any thoughts you guys may have on this piece or similar experiences you may have had before I explain my motivation for it.

Quote:A Rigid Fool

I know a man who is not very bright but has heaps of good will! If he met your granny on the corner, she would thank the Lord Almighty that a man like this one has arrived to help her across. When they made it, your granny would smile shakily and this man would pat her hand and go on his way. Over his heart, this man has an ornately detailed cross tattooed. This man would get your granny across the street! Should your granny die, of course, this man would feel for you. He would be ready to watch your house so you could go across the country to attend the funeral. He would feed your dog and pat your cat, though he has pet allergies. He’d be there twice a day, with baby talk bubbling from his mouth for your dog, and stately respect for your cat. This man would be there without fail, though his nose would leak like a rusted pipe. This man is faithful to his woman, and to God. This man will tell you so! When I speak to this man of evolution he smiles, he laughs, he shakes his head. To him I am so foolish! The Bible, he explains slowly, says that God created the Earth, and everything on it! He smiles again, knowing that I don’t believe, and accepts me anyway. My shoulders are tense and my hands are shaking. I say nothing, I walk away from this man, but he does not leave my thoughts. I dream of seizing his shoulders and shaking him like a small doll for his stupidity, his flat refusal to be open minded.

Thanks!
[Image: Canadatheist3copy.jpg?t=1270015625]
RE: Something I found
I liked it as prose, but it kinda reads a little mean. If the guy would walk your granny, and watch your house, and feed your pets (even with allergies), should it really be a big deal if he has different views than you? He is willing to do all these things for you, even though you seem as crazy to him as he must to yourself. And the only thing you want to do is shake him like a doll?

Seems like, regardless of petty beliefs, he would be a better man than you.

But it is just a story.
Yes I agree Pippy. I actually wrote this after having a conversation with a fundie (who was nowhere near as calm as the guy in my story) and I looked back on myself and realized just how emotional and argumentative I had been, and was ashamed of myself.
[Image: Canadatheist3copy.jpg?t=1270015625]
I like this poetry - it details how maddening it can be to deal with someone so nice, only to find out their reasons are less than genuine towards you and more towards their wellbeing in the eyes of God.
It all depends on what your values are.

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Shocking Reflection]: Finally, I found Mohammed's name in the Bible and the Torah WinterHold 105 6142 November 26, 2022 at 1:29 am
Last Post: UniversesBoss
  Sodom found? HappySkeptic 46 3277 October 9, 2021 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  What would you do if you found out God existed Catholic_Lady 545 80473 March 5, 2021 at 3:28 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Jesus tomb found! << click bait for religious>> ignoramus 17 2860 December 23, 2018 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  It's not religion..believe me. It's something else WinterHold 49 7188 November 15, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Came across something on YouTube and had a very immature thought GODZILLA 20 3038 October 5, 2018 at 9:30 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  What would you do if you found out that I was God? Aegon 16 2591 October 8, 2017 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  What would you do if you found out that God has nothing to do with religions? Little Rik 68 11748 October 8, 2017 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: energizer bunny
  What would you do if you found out Dog existed? Gawdzilla Sama 16 3364 October 7, 2017 at 6:30 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What would you do if you found out God can't possibly exist? Succubus 21 4706 October 7, 2017 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet