Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 5:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In God We Trust
In God We Trust
If the motto "In God We Trust" was not added to our money until the 1950's as many people claim, how do they explain this? http://www.ngccoin.com/images/cga/Shield...bverse.jpg
The Skipper Says:
Good work, Little Buddy

RE: In God We Trust
That particular religious agenda started in the 1800's. I think it was the 1950's when it was added to all money. I have an 1885 silver dollar with 'In God We Trust' on it.
binnyCoffee
Insufficient context, time frame is of American civil war, url claims it is a two bit piece.

However, "In God We Trust" as we know it was legislated roughly around the Red Scare. The example you pose is most likely a transitional piece and has no link to the "In God We Trust" on US currency today.

Nice try trolling, better luck next time.
(January 11, 2010 at 5:49 pm)Gilligan Wrote: If the motto "In God We Trust" was not added to our money until the 1950's as many people claim, how do they explain this? http://www.ngccoin.com/images/cga/Shield...bverse.jpg

I think you're confused here. It was the "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance that was added in the 1950s. I presume that this thread was started in response to my remarks in the "they were only human" thread?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
It was on money beforehand due to pressure from Christian groups during the civil war, but it wasn't made a national motto until the 50's. I don't think anyone has claimed it first appeared on money in the 50's. Indeed, the idea for the motto came from the existence of it on the coins.

Point is, it wasn't on coins before 1865, because the constitution forbids it. I suspect that during that period of civil unrest, however, anything would have been done to please the people, without regard to the constitution (and especially as at the time the country was largely Christian).

It doesn't belong on the money currently though, which should be the subject up for discussion. Nor does it belong as a national motto of a country where the Establishment clause of the First Amendment strictly prohibits it!
(January 11, 2010 at 5:56 pm)Synackaon Wrote: Insufficient context, time frame is of American civil war, url claims it is a two bit piece.

However, "In God We Trust" as we know it was legislated roughly around the Red Scare. The example you pose is most likely a transitional piece and has no link to the "In God We Trust" on US currency today.

Nice try trolling, better luck next time.
It was added to the nickel, quarter, half dollar, silver dollar, $10 and $20 gold pieces two years later and has been on our coins ever since. The coin in the picture was a two cent piece minted from 1864 to 1873.
The Skipper Says:
Good work, Little Buddy

^^ Citation needed.
(January 11, 2010 at 6:21 pm)Synackaon Wrote: ^^ Citation needed.

Look in the "Guide Book of United States Coins".
The Skipper Says:
Good work, Little Buddy

This is what wikipedia has to say about the matter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_We_Trust
There is nothing people will not maintain when they are slaves to superstition

http://chatpilot-godisamyth.blogspot.com/

There appears to be some confusion over what Gilligan is talking about, possibly because he mentioned that some claim that the motto "In God We Trust" first appeared on coins in the 1950's. I personally have never heard this claim from anyone before. Rather, (and it is possible Gilligan has confused the claim with this one) people claim that the motto "In God We Trust" was only taken as an official motto of the United States in the 50's (which is well documented and true).

What is true relating to money though, is that in the 50's laws were passed to first make it a mandatory inclusion on all coins, and second to put it on paper money for the first time.

However the most well known (and widely talked about by atheists) event of the 50's concerning the phrase was its adoption as the national motto.

Did you perhaps confuse what these people were saying about the adoption or its inclusion on paper money Gilligan?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19825 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie