Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 4:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion conflicting with science
Religion conflicting with science
Just a little anecdote here. I was in a core biology lecture. The lecturer was quite a funny guy. He was talking about the start of life and evolution and all that and he said that the bible is the most accurate religious text when it comes to how the world started. He listed what god made and the days he made them. Funnily enough he missed out the part where god made plants before he made the sun. I felt like speaking up but there was like 100 people in the lecture and I was shy. He was definitely an atheist because of the way he ripped into creationism though. It was done as a kind of joke.
Anyway, context aside, I assumed everyone in the lecture was not religious but I did see a few girls wearing muslim things, can't remember the name, like a burka but not a burka, doesn't cover the face. Also there is a lecturer that is a biologist but is also a vicar or priest of some sort, he has the collar. He specializes in botany apparently.
It just seems incredible to me that a scientist can believe in god and the bible or in fact any religion. In my eyes, they are huge hypocrites. They have an incredibly high standard of evidence for their science but they don't apply this to their religion. Its like they are actively oppressing the rational and logical voice in their head. It must be a constant internal struggle for them. On the other hand, they may not have thought critically about it at all. I'm sure a lot of people just putt off examining their religion with the same scrutiny as they would a scientific hypothesis.
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
RE: Religion conflicting with science
I actually see a lot of this, being in a pharmacology program in uni, I take plenty of hard science courses and evolution courses on the side just for fun. However most of my friends are atheists. If someone in our class were to confess to being religious, we'd all go ... uh huh. A neuro prof of mine actually discussed the belief of a soul with us, and said that he didn't believe there was a separate entity and we will not deal with it in class and after class all of my friends were puzzled why he even brought it up (including me), because it's just so obvious to us. There are a few religious ones left (I know a doctor who's religious, you don't think about that but doctors went through a lot of hard science education too), but they generally don't assume that their religion is palatable to everyone and is the obvious truth when they talk about it. But to be honest we don't take it well, my friends have said on many occasions that the religious are stupid for believing in god, and these aren't even people who identify as atheists.
I don't think that they are necessarily stupid, just mislead, misguided, delusional. Have you ever watched the atheist experience? Matt Dillahunty claims to have been a southern baptist christian for 20 years and he was going to become a preacher or something. He just said he never evaluated his religious belief before. And when he did (by studying the bible more in order to become a preacher) he became disillusioned. I think we can all agree he is a very smart person but he just didn't evaluate his religion.

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(October 9, 2013 at 3:13 pm)Rationalman Wrote: I don't think that they are necessarily stupid, just mislead, misguided, delusional. Have you ever watched the atheist experience? Matt Dillahunty claims to have been a southern baptist christian for 20 years and he was going to become a preacher or something. He just said he never evaluated his religious belief before. And when he did (by studying the bible more in order to become a preacher) he became disillusioned. I think we can all agree he is a very smart person but he just didn't evaluate his religion.

And that is why there are still so many christians/muslims in the world. Lots of peoples default position is there is a god and they never have cause to evaluate it.

Why should they? its not like its important.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Well, I think the question of how we all got here is the biggest and most important one ever. I just can't see how they think it is not important

(October 9, 2013 at 3:35 pm)Rationalman Wrote: Well, I think the question of how we all got here is the biggest and most important one ever. I just can't see how they think it is not important

Is it really though? on a day to day basis what is the more important question. how am I going to feed the kids? or I wonder how the universe came to be?

We have a way of deciding things in my house.

I get all the important ones, who should be prime minister, should we stay in the EU etc and my wife decides the little things like what colour the front room should be how many kids we have etc.

Importance is relative.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Yea i suppose you are right. Its not important to me or anyone else right now but for the future. I'm talking about millions of years in the future, the things we need to achieve to survive as a species, space travel, sustainable living, genetic engineering. If we figure out how the universe came to be, that may open new doors for humanity. Imagine time travel, wormholes, blackholes!

It seems to me that part of what makes science science is the willingness to question even so-called "settled" scientific paradigms. That doesn't make them hypocrits in my eyes.
(October 9, 2013 at 3:35 pm)Rationalman Wrote: Well, I think the question of how we all got here is the biggest and most important one ever. I just can't see how they think it is not important

"Where are we headed?" Is a better question to consider.
(October 9, 2013 at 3:33 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: And that is why there are still so many christians/muslims in the world. Lots of peoples default position is there is a god and they never have cause to evaluate it.

As far as Christians go, it seems like most just follow some generic dogma like "Be good, go to Heaven; be bad, go to Hell; love Jesus and God" and that's about it. They don't really get into what the bible actually says. To them the bible is like a software license agreement. They don't read it, they just click on "I agree." That's why with most of them when you show them something really weird in the bible they're honestly surprised.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion and Science are 1000% Opposite causal code 497 109321 October 25, 2017 at 8:04 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Religion and Science are 1000% Opposite causal code 0 465 September 13, 2017 at 1:48 am
Last Post: causal code
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11127 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5017 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20102 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 50889 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Bridging the Divide Between Science and Religion Mudhammam 3 1864 November 11, 2014 at 1:59 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Science and Religion cannot overlap. Mudhammam 97 12339 August 12, 2014 at 8:17 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Science Vs. Religion (Cute version) NoraBrimstone 12 2612 November 30, 2013 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Mothonis
  Conflicting statements in the bible Baalzebutt 404 264950 June 27, 2013 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: smax