Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 8:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why are you a Theist?
Why are you a Theist?
Alright, so I felt I should start this thread as the opposite end of the spectrum to the: "Why are you atheist?" thread.

Be as in depth as you like.

Why are you still a Theist?
(March 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm)ThatMuslimGuy2 Wrote: Never read anything immoral in the Qur'an.
RE: Why are you a Theist?
Well I was minding my own business wandering around Solitude taking a break from murdering bandits and dragons. Next thing I know some crazy dude wanders up to me and starts blathering on about his master and told me to go see him in the palace and gave me a hip bone telling me its what I needed to go in. So I figure I better go find this master and tell him his lunatic friend is running round giving people bits of corpse. I go inside walk down the hall and next thing I know I'm in another realm meeting Sheogorath the Mad God himself!

He ended up giving me The Wabbajack and and fancy set of clothing Big Grin
That's one of the more fun quests in that game.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Quote:giving people bits of corpse
Sounds like Catholicism.
(March 30, 2013 at 9:51 pm)ThatMuslimGuy2 Wrote: Never read anything immoral in the Qur'an.
I am going to answer this, even though I am no longer a theist.

When I was a theist, it was because I was brought up to believe in a certain god and religion. I sincerely believed, and I sincerely searched for 'God'. I had every expectation i would become an even stronger believer.

But I also grew up in a family that was quite skeptical. When someone in the family would bring up some sort of woo, my parents, and other members of my extended family, would subject it to the most rigorous skepticism possible. It didn't take me long to figure out they weren't applying the same level of rigor to their own beliefs.

I soon decided that I was going to prove that my beliefs were justified. Of course, it didn't turn out that way.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
[Image: 1591_mCWDcx1iVOz59dt.jpg]
Come on theists, don't we have some regular believers here that want to pipe in? We won't give you cooties, or go on genocidal rampages. Why, please tell us, why as an adult you still have an invisible friend.
When I was a theist, I believed because I was raised super Catholic, and I liked the idea of there being a God and a heaven and whatnot.

Now I'm perfectly fine with reality.
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

(April 1, 2013 at 9:14 pm)CleanShavenJesus Wrote: When I was a theist, I believed because I was raised super Catholic, and I liked the idea of there being a God and a heaven and whatnot.

Now I'm perfectly fine with reality.
WHAT? Then how can others lead you off the cliff? What is the matter with sky diving without a parachute? Yee of little faith.
Because I love God, more than I have ever loved any female, because I am closer to God than I am to any person, because I see the world clearly through God, because God completes me and apart from God I am not really anything, my thoughts and intentions are not directed towards anything.

Without God, everything like like an internet meme, there is really nothing to say, nothing to do, so you are just trying to be sarcastic or offensive because you are afraid to say something deep because you are scared you will be pretentious or something like that because you aren't a deep person, you are just trying to be cool or sarcastic.

I never feel like that now. I feel as if every one of my intentions is directed towards love and wisdom and holiness. I used to feel like my whole life was just cynicism and everything was a joke because I was afraid to actually care about something. The deepest thought or consideration I had would be based following some some kind of political propaganda.

I don't feel like that now.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is a theist other then the basic definition? Quill01 4 744 August 1, 2022 at 11:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Theist with Questions RBP3280 57 3073 April 1, 2022 at 6:14 am
Last Post: Jehanne
Exclamation Why Atheism is Incoherent & You Aren't as Smart as You Think You Are Seax 60 5375 March 19, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Dating / Married To Theist wolf39us 23 2904 April 8, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  You're a theist against immigration? Foxaèr 54 9585 July 9, 2018 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A serious question for the theist. Foxaèr 18 3080 May 9, 2018 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Stupid theist tricks........ Brian37 6 1897 April 29, 2018 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  If there are no gods, doesn't making one's self a god make one a theist? Foxaèr 13 3746 May 26, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 23373 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Theist Posters: Why do you believe your God exists? SuperSentient 65 14707 March 15, 2017 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Cyberman