Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 11:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humour and the Bible
Humour and the Bible
Humour is a very important element of the human condition. We use humour in our everyday lives and even find it in the most desperate situations.

It helps to bind societies, offers relief to some of our worst experiences and in many cases keeps us sane and well balanced.

Where then are all the examples and teaching of humour in the Bible and other religious texts? The Bible seems to teach a lot about honour, charity, duty etc. but, unless I'm wrong, has nothing to really teach about humour and the light hearted aspect of living.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Humour and the Bible
(March 25, 2012 at 6:07 am)Darwinian Wrote: Humour is a very important element of the human condition. We use humour in our everyday lives and even find it in the most desperate situations.

It helps to bind societies, offers relief to some of our worst experiences and in many cases keeps us sane and well balanced.

Where then are all the examples and teaching of humour in the Bible and other religious texts? The Bible seems to teach a lot about honour, charity, duty etc. but, unless I'm wrong, has nothing to really teach about humour and the light hearted aspect of living.

Reading between the lines I think it says a whole lot about humor and we see it in all the fundies that think it's literal.
Bible is all humour, if taken holistically.

EDIT:
God created the universe in 6 days ....biggest joke of all time.
(March 25, 2012 at 6:14 am)Forsaken Wrote: Bible is all humour, if taken holistically.

I prefer the Homeopathic Version.

There is no humour in the religious texts.

The writers had no interest in entertaining or binding all the peoples of the world together. None. They would make no peace with the world and resented the notion of civilization striving toward utopia. They kind of established this antisocial sentiment and their "inharmonious mentality" with the whole story of the Tower of Babel.

The humourless writers of the Bible were a murdering, raping, pillaging band of Jews (no offence). They were only interested in establishing their rule and supremacy in the Middle East, toppling over any existing 'orders' at that time, and bringing yet another divisive tool to propagate the 'war effort' against their neighbours by creating yet another fascist god-selecting-them-as-its-chosen-people-while-screwing-over-the-rest-of-the-world myth.

Alas, they were too primitive and backward to appreciate teachings such as "I shot the man that taught me to shoot" as years later, a certain Adolf Hitler would take their warmongering messages to heart, and nearly exterminate all of their descendants off the face of the Earth they previously so sought to control and wage genocide upon themselves.
I think one of the most important things to have a sense of humor about is yourself. Maybe most Christians wouldn't be so uptight and boring if God had said, "Thou shall learn to laugh at thyself."
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
And the reason for this is......

Quote:No man with a sense of humour ever founded a religion.
-- Robert Green Ingersoll
(March 25, 2012 at 6:07 am)Darwinian Wrote: Humour is a very important element of the human condition. We use humour in our everyday lives and even find it in the most desperate situations.

I laughed when I read the bible. It all sounds like one big JOKE to me. It's even funnier when people try to take it seriously.
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." -Friedrich Nietzsche

"All thinking men are atheists." -Ernest Hemmingway

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." -Voltaire
(March 25, 2012 at 11:46 am)Minimalist Wrote: And the reason for this is......

Quote:No man with a sense of humour ever founded a religion.
-- Robert Green Ingersoll

I think L Ron Hubard laughed all the way to the bank.

There is a lot of unintended humour in the bible.

Genesis 32:24 made me giggle.

So Jacob was left alone, and a man wrestled with him till daybreak.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Perhaps that is a biblical euphemism for "choking his chicken" or "jerkin' his gherkin," DBP?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 7754 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy