Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being born again linked to brain atrophy
Being born again linked to brain atrophy
I've always found adult conversion hard to understand. This may explain the phenomenum, at least in part.:

Quote:Being 'Born-Again' Linked to More Brain Atrophy

WEDNESDAY, May 25 (HealthDay News) -- Older adults who say they've had a life-changing religious experience are more likely to have a greater decrease in size of the hippocampus, the part of the brain critical to learning and memory, new research finds.

According to the study, people who said they were a "born-again" Protestant or Catholic, or conversely, those who had no religious affiliation, had more hippocampal shrinkage (or "atrophy") compared to people who identified themselves as Protestants, but not born-again.

The study is published online in PLoS ONE.

As people age, a certain amount of brain atrophy is expected. Shrinkage of the hippocampus is also associated with depression, dementia and Alzheimer's disease.

In the study, researchers asked 268 people aged 58 to 84 about their religious affiliation, spiritual practices and life-changing religious experiences. Over the course of two to eight years, changes to the hippocampus were monitored using MRI scans.

Continues

http://www.philly.com/philly/health/topi...Study.html
RE: Being born again linked to brain atrophy
This is the most hilarious study I've ever seen in my life.
I need to bookmark this and show it to every "born again" christian I ever meet to show them that their beliefs are SO retarded that it actually gives them physical damage to their own brain.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
I thought like being "born again" is something like actually changing your religious affiliation.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
(January 3, 2012 at 6:06 pm)TheDarkestOfAngels Wrote: This is the most hilarious study I've ever seen in my life.
I need to bookmark this and show it to every "born again" christian I ever meet to show them that their beliefs are SO retarded that it actually gives them physical damage to their own brain.

Any idiot who repudiates his real birth to be born again must have been brain damage right out of the womb.

So atheist brains shrunk as well?
people who said they were a "born-again" Protestant or Catholic, or conversely, those who had no religious affiliation, had more hippocampal shrinkage (or "atrophy")
So just about everyone has changed their mind, ever........... ffs.
[Image: Born-OK-The-First-Time.jpg]
After re-reading the link, it seems you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
I guess if you want a big and healthy hippocamus, you should never change your mind about anything ever.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
(January 3, 2012 at 7:43 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(January 3, 2012 at 6:06 pm)TheDarkestOfAngels Wrote: This is the most hilarious study I've ever seen in my life.

Any idiot who repudiates his real birth to be born again must have been brain damage right out of the womb.

Real birth? That was the singularity. I began with my Gwynnies. Epiphany is not for everyone. Big Grin
[Image: twQdxWW.jpg]
What about the lack of stress related to not having to deal with cognitive dissonance? It's very relaxing not having to be the apologist anymore. Neither do I have to cringe when someone in my religion does something stupid. When Rick Perry opens his mouth I can snort in laughter, when someone thinks Ray Comfort is a genius I can laugh on the inside and try hard not to crack a smile, when my (former) Christian neighbor acts like a psycho, I shrug and walk away.

I suppose I now have to worry about problems due to being a nonbeliever in the bible belt but that's nothing compared to thevothet extreme.

Of course the article is probably bullshit, so all this speculation is mindedness, I just haven't got the time to verify facts right now.
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The "God" Part of the Brain, by Matthew Alper neil 20 1421 February 9, 2024 at 4:26 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Belief in white Jesus linked to racism Foxaèr 91 6263 January 1, 2022 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Being can come from non-being Alex K 55 7229 January 15, 2020 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Being cannot come from Non-being Otangelo 147 13502 January 7, 2020 at 7:08 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Disturbing child abuse linked to Voodoo and Chrsitianity downbeatplumb 5 896 January 16, 2019 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  MS closely linked to age-related decline in levels of testosterone WinterHold 4 1124 March 22, 2018 at 9:12 am
Last Post: brewer
  Left brain believes (theist), right brain disbelieves (atheist) Mystic 15 3338 January 11, 2015 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Billboard proclaims "Nobody is born gay" Foxaèr 201 28677 December 22, 2014 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Okay, You Were Born Gay...But You're Still Going To Hell! Nope 18 7595 December 15, 2014 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Born this way, baby Foxaèr 170 48150 March 29, 2013 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: John V