Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 5:50 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How is the validity of this?
RE: How is the validity of this?
(March 23, 2010 at 8:18 am)libraryowl Wrote:

Zhalentine Wrote:

Thanks for the good input. I wasn't trying test it's truth, just it's logical soundness. What if I rewored 2 to read "2-To be part of "reality" requires a measurable materialistic or tangible component " As a force it can be demonstrated or measured materialsitcally and scientifically.

(March 23, 2010 at 12:26 pm)tavarish Wrote:

A-And as we become more interconnected language expands and words change definition, does this make them less usefull or useless?
B-Yes morals have been subjective. They are also local societal classifications agreeing on what's right and wrong. Some theists use a common morality of the ten commandments transcending lines of community. Who's to say that morality isn't scalable with no moral construct on one end and absolute morality on the other. It could be something that we're developing or evolving to.
C-God is demonstratable too, albeit far more subjective than math. demonstratability is falsifiability. I can, and have listed many congruent subjective points leading to a course objectively guiding my life demonstrating God's ordering hand.
D-Gray Areas= a term for a border in-between two or more things that is unclearly defined, a border that is hard to define or even impossible to define, or a definition where the distinction border tends to move. Such examples would be undefined areas in law, definitions and morality. Do I need to go deeper?
E-Math at its very core is subjective, as it requires a mind for its existence. Math absolutes presuppose a maximum optimal value (yet undefined/ unknown) or intentionally strip variable from an equation, but as there are no known absolutes (only supposed), there is a very historicaly plausable and useful reason to think it is true. An absolute, when talking about a truth statement, is something that would be true regardless of any factors within our universe. It would also have to be a noumenon, revealed through phenomenon. Something which is independent of a mind that we are working towards a definition of. I hope this enumerates a little better tav.

(March 23, 2010 at 7:38 pm)theblindferrengi Wrote:

So we're as morally perfect as we're going to be? That's like saying I've learned enough.. There's nothing more. A moral absolute is necessary in the pursuit of purity of morality as a society. I just call mine God and atheists reject it and keep their "moral cap" at societial best case scenario. It's no wonder more skeptics are pessimistic (purely assumption based off observations). I can show you lives changed, hearts healed, hope renewed, success, contentment, pure joy and elation all attributed to God. The nature of the proof is intangible and at a consciousness level, not a materialistic objectifiable one. I would say Math is emotionless and logically objectifiable and morality is emotional and irrational at times, neither of which proves truth. I'm just trying to point out the dismissiveness of anything remotely subjective, when day-to-day life uses assumed consistencies in subjective reality more than most give any credit for. You see no value to your community or society from organized religion, I disagree. More has been done within my Christian community for the betterment of my fellow man, in 6 months, than Obama could ever do.

@Adrian.. Don't want to reopen that can of worms.. but fascinating. so .999... =|1|
So what about this proposition :
If God just is (fixed value with no rate of change) could it's value be constant when our concept of God's definition is enless due to subjectivity?

Or subjective definition of God (.999r) = Absolute omnimax value (|1|)
Thanks to everyone for the help so far I really appreciate it!
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari

Messages In This Thread
How is the validity of this? - by tackattack - March 23, 2010 at 12:20 am
RE: How is the validity of this? - by theblindferrengi - March 23, 2010 at 2:01 am
RE: How is the validity of this? - by tackattack - March 23, 2010 at 3:50 am
RE: How is the validity of this? - by tavarish - March 23, 2010 at 12:26 pm
RE: How is the validity of this? - by Zhalentine - March 23, 2010 at 12:46 pm
RE: How is the validity of this? - by theblindferrengi - March 23, 2010 at 7:38 pm
RE: How is the validity of this? - by tackattack - March 24, 2010 at 5:44 am
RE: How is the validity of this? - by tavarish - March 24, 2010 at 9:43 pm
RE: How is the validity of this? - by tackattack - March 25, 2010 at 2:02 am
RE: How is the validity of this? - by tavarish - March 26, 2010 at 1:18 am
RE: How is the validity of this? - by Tiberius - March 23, 2010 at 7:12 am
RE: How is the validity of this? - by fr0d0 - March 23, 2010 at 6:33 pm
RE: How is the validity of this? - by libraryowl - March 23, 2010 at 8:18 am
RE: How is the validity of this? - by RedFish - March 23, 2010 at 10:19 am
RE: How is the validity of this? - by tackattack - March 26, 2010 at 3:00 am
RE: How is the validity of this? - by tavarish - March 26, 2010 at 9:33 am