Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 12:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Ethernal Just A Guise For "Ifinately Far"?
Is Ethernal Just A Guise For "Ifinately Far"?
Religious apologists love Kalaam. People of any religion can use it and people of all religions do. It's amazing how the same premise can have so many different conclusions depending on who you ask. Heck, I could invent a deity now and it would fit Kalaam. The very same Kalaam used by William Lane-Craig is used by his bearded alter-ego, Hamza Tzortis.

Religionists will always claim that time cannot for infinitely far into the past but then they say their favourite deity infinite, which I think is strange. Personally, I don't know about you, but I don't see the problem with an infinite regress of universes. It's not like the sniper example I've heard, whereby the sniper is never issued the command to shoot, which I think is a non-sequitur. Regardless, how did their deity get to now if it's eternal?

But, putting Kalaam to one side for the moment, many religions have a concept of heaven and hell. And I wonder, do these concepts mean that time can do infinitely far into the future? Religionists talk about 'eternal life', something which I have always found confusing. For a start, it's 'carrot and stick motivation'. But, putting that aside, for anything to happen there has to be a change in states, right? Won't entropy increase in heaven? You can't have people frolicking in heaven without time, surely, or am I misconstruing? Ah, but it's supernatural I hear you say.

I don't know. I've always struggled with the idea of eternal life. Do we arrive at the age we died in? What about aging? I mean it wouldn't be fair on the old folk. Wouldn't everyone want to have the perfect body? And then wouldn't everyone be clones of each other. If somebody was circumcised (in particular dangerous FGM) and died as a result, would they arrived circumcised or not? So many questions.

Edit: Or maybe I'm just an idiot...

Messages In This Thread
Is Ethernal Just A Guise For "Ifinately Far"? - by ReptilianPeon - April 1, 2015 at 5:07 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you're pro-life, how far do you take that? robvalue 147 14769 August 10, 2018 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Why do far right Christian-Conservatives want to put Jesus in schools NuclearEnergy 41 8519 February 8, 2017 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Asmodee
  Disbelief in an intelligent creator = far fetched? Foxaèr 39 8075 January 12, 2015 at 10:07 am
Last Post: Nope
  Having Far More Respect For Beliefs Of Non Judeo Christian Theists Xavier 22 12402 February 26, 2012 at 11:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger