Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 7:30 am

Poll: Should Gays have rights in society?
This poll is closed.
Yes, this is their natural right to be gay.
92.86%
13 92.86%
No, being gay is not natural therefore they have no natural right to be gay.
0%
0 0%
No, being gay is against a Divine Command and therefore they have no rights but be subject to punishment!
0%
0 0%
Yes, this is not a natural right but Gays have rights to be Gay no matter the circumstances and social templates.
7.14%
1 7.14%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion"
RE: Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion"
A lot in this topic has baffled me, so I wanted to throw in my 2 small coins.

I don't agree that being heterosexual, homosexual or bisexual is a choice. By those terms, I would mean your natural disposition and preference, your sexuality, which I would have though by now was pretty much unanimously settled as genetic.

What you can choose is who to have sex with, and who to have a relationship with. And neither of those things define or change what I would call your sexuality. I am heterosexual, and I could have consensual sex with every man in the world and I would still be heterosexual. I could marry a table lamp and I'm still heterosexual. I only become homosexual if I somehow actually change the way by brain works to alter my base preferences. I imagine that this may be possible through a psyche-breaking amount of relentless conditioning/programming, although I'm not sure it is possible at all, but even if this is the case it's hardly a simple matter of choice. I know such programs have been attempted in the past, but as far as I know they haven't been successful.

I would have thought this is all quite obvious at this relatively enlightened stage of history, but we have all heard so many stories of people trying very hard to be straight. No matter how long they are in a relationship with a partner of the other sex, or have sex with them, they end up unable to deny who they are. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone changing their sexuality by choice.

And of course, it's all totally irrelevant to whether or not gay people should have rights. Which to any reasonable person the answer is yes. The idea that they should have the right to be gay doesn't even make sense to me, I don't understand that question. They are gay, rights has nothing to do with it.

I think the word "homophobia" sums things up very well, it's an irrational fear of gay people. Homophobes are scared that gays will (a) turn them gay (b) try and have sex with them © take over, and they worry that if they aren't seen to oppose them, then they are gay as well. It boggles my mind how anyone can be scared about someone's sexuality. Of course, homophobes will not admit they are scared. Instead they cite nonsense reasons like, like.. what was that book called?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" - by robvalue - November 3, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Down 11-Year-Old Genius Proves Hawking Wrong About God Fake Messiah 7 1181 April 16, 2019 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Quantum Physics Proves God’s Existence blue grey brain 15 1970 January 2, 2019 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Popcorn Proves Poppy the Pop Corn God. The Valkyrie 67 10683 May 16, 2018 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The false self and our knowledge of it's deception proves God. Mystic 89 12555 April 14, 2017 at 1:41 pm
Wink The Attraction System In MEN & WOMEN Proves God Exists!!! Edward John 69 13716 December 12, 2016 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Hypothetically, science proves free will isn't real henryp 95 13959 July 12, 2016 at 7:00 pm
  Christians think they have special rights GoHalos1993 10 2996 October 29, 2015 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Zeitgeist proves the fault in Religion Charles Xavier 21 3615 January 5, 2015 at 6:12 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Believers got us dead to rights, give up. Brian37 22 6209 September 19, 2014 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  If science proves we were seeded by Annuanki? Does that make them our gods? greekGod 32 8410 August 21, 2014 at 5:01 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb