Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 11:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will
RE: A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will
(November 12, 2023 at 6:29 pm)ShinyCrystals Wrote:
(November 12, 2023 at 5:57 pm)Bucky Ball Wrote: ”An enormous portion of cognitive activity is non-conscious, figuratively speaking, it could be 99 percent; we probably will never know precisely how much is outside awareness.” (Dr. Emmanuel Donchin, director of the Laboratory for Cognitive Psychophysiology at the University of Illinois).

That precludes "free will". In general the percentage generally is said to be about 95 %.
It all depends on the definition which still comes from Medieval Theology. There, it means that one can hold in consciousness AT THE TIME the decision is made,
ALL the elements of a choice, (defined in Moral Theology to establish what a "sin" is). That has been proven by neuroscience to be false.

No one can "believe" in god who sincerely thinks the concept is total rubbish, that the concept is incoherent, AND Christianity at least agrees :

"For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God, it is not from works, so that no-one may boast. For we are his handiwork, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, so that in them we might walk. (Eph 2:8-10)

I thought so about free will.

It is not like determinism or even probability for that matter. I don't think free will is a think as I was trying to explain like neuroscience says it is not.

But yeah, religion does have a lot of BS. I do not think Jesus Christ even existed at all, did he not?

But yeah, if I understand what "precludes", as in "precludes free will" means, and I bet I do, I am sure what I was previously talking about or was trying to say before about how the mind works prevents free will from being a thing. In fact, one of the reasons, and I mean one out of perhaps many, as to why people believe in free will is that they want to believe they really are free, and they want to think that they can freely choose even when they actually don't. What other reasons could there be for people believing in free will?

They *need* to accept their theological system is real. But seriously, that is an excellent question ! Smile
Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble. - Joseph Campbell  Popcorn

Militant Atheist Commie Evolutionist 

Messages In This Thread
RE: A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will - by Bucky Ball - November 12, 2023 at 6:51 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1172 86361 June 3, 2024 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What is a theist other then the basic definition? Quill01 4 746 August 1, 2022 at 11:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 681 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? Ferrocyanide 177 11669 January 1, 2022 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  forbidding people to love each other Fake Messiah 210 25060 September 16, 2021 at 1:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  One cool thing about Christianity and Islam Edge92 55 3917 June 4, 2021 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Flat Earther, and other conspiracy theories. Are they mostly atheists? Ferrocyanide 95 7391 April 26, 2021 at 3:56 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" ignoramus 121 21739 March 5, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Religious people in the medical field Foxaèr 35 7186 November 11, 2018 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Are religious people really afraid of death? Alexmahone 36 5142 July 3, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose