Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 10:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will
RE: A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will
(November 12, 2023 at 11:25 am)ShinyCrystals Wrote:
(November 12, 2023 at 11:06 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: I'm not "worked up". I'm pointing out that human concepts are just as real -- material -- as anything else, so  the conclusion that they don't exist in nature is fundamentally flawed.

I'm not upset. I like accurate language, especially in a format where it is the only means of communicating. I will make it quite clear when I'm pissed; now isn't one of those times.

I see. It did seem you were kind of worked up, though.

Let me try once more to explain what I actually meant.

Free will is a something (don't quote me on that, I don't know what to actually call it yet) it is part of human reality; reality being used for a lack of a better word. By human reality, I mean the reality as seen by humans, as described by humans and how humans perceive reality, which is different from the reality that governs everything outside of human reality itself, the physical world, that is. Now, both the human reality and the reality outside human reality have their own laws, aspects, and so on in them.

What I think I was trying to say is that free will is part of the human reality, in my eyes, that is. I do not think that free will is something that goes with the reality outside human reality, the rest of the known universe. The reality outside human reality deals with how the mind works, or how it might work, since we don't know about the mind that much.

With that, I don't think the reality outside of human reality would allow for something like free will, or allow it to exist, and even if it did, it would be different from how we perceive free will. I mean, the human reality and the reality outside human reality are two different things here. Human reality is more subjective and the reality outside human reality is more objective, including with things we might not know, at least not yet.

How do you know that reality outside human reality is "more objective", ... you being a human, (I assume) ? 
First you have to define what you're talking about. Then you have to demonstrate that it's true.
Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble. - Joseph Campbell  Popcorn

Militant Atheist Commie Evolutionist 

Messages In This Thread
RE: A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will - by Bucky Ball - November 12, 2023 at 12:08 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1172 86313 June 3, 2024 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What is a theist other then the basic definition? Quill01 4 746 August 1, 2022 at 11:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 680 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? Ferrocyanide 177 11666 January 1, 2022 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  forbidding people to love each other Fake Messiah 210 25059 September 16, 2021 at 1:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  One cool thing about Christianity and Islam Edge92 55 3917 June 4, 2021 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Flat Earther, and other conspiracy theories. Are they mostly atheists? Ferrocyanide 95 7391 April 26, 2021 at 3:56 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" ignoramus 121 21739 March 5, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Religious people in the medical field Foxaèr 35 7185 November 11, 2018 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Are religious people really afraid of death? Alexmahone 36 5140 July 3, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose