Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 4:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will
RE: A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will
(October 16, 2023 at 1:30 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote: Freewill may not exist, but a nearly sixty-year old experiment isn't the proof of it. The man who conducted the experiment, Kornhuber, didn't think it disproved free will and much later findings supported his interpretation over the popular one. His work was confirmed by Libet, with people reporting their decision being made about 150 milliseconds before making it; while the brain activity indicating the tap was about to happen occurred about 500 milliseconds before the tap.

However:

'In a new study under review for publication in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Schurger and two Princeton researchers repeated a version of Libet’s experiment. To avoid unintentionally cherry-picking brain noise, they included a control condition in which people didn’t move at all. An artificial-intelligence classifier allowed them to find at what point brain activity in the two conditions diverged. If Libet was right, that should have happened at 500 milliseconds before the movement. But the algorithm couldn’t tell any difference until about only 150 milliseconds before the movement, the time people reported making decisions in Libet’s original experiment.

In other words, people’s subjective experience of a decision—what Libet’s study seemed to suggest was just an illusion—appeared to match the actual moment their brains showed them making a decision.'

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi...al/597736/

That is interesting, though I was not trying to say that the article proved free will itself. I was only using some things from it.

But that aside, my point is that people who practice religion and fans of people do not seem to display free will well. That said, they may do whatever God or go by what a person says, even if it is wrong, without question. Let me bring up this quote I found on another site.

"Celebrity cuts you off from the real world - to be fair it's partly necessity. People do stalk celebrities and obsess over them.

Unfortunately it means the longer a person is isolated in that world, the less perspective they have."

The same can be applied to religion and God, as people who worship and support such people do not seem to go by their own perspective rather than those they support. It is like those people don't have a will of their own, and they are not free mentally because they rely on others rather than developing their own thoughts. It is hard to have free will when you are dependent too much on someone else and your thoughts are not your own.

You do see what I mean here, do you?

Messages In This Thread
RE: A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will - by ShinyCrystals - October 16, 2023 at 1:40 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things religious people say Foxaèr 1167 85387 3 hours ago
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  What is a theist other then the basic definition? Quill01 4 746 August 1, 2022 at 11:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why people remain in cultlike religious communities Won2blv 6 674 April 1, 2022 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Isn’t pantheism the same thing as atheism? Ferrocyanide 177 11614 January 1, 2022 at 2:36 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  forbidding people to love each other Fake Messiah 210 24898 September 16, 2021 at 1:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  One cool thing about Christianity and Islam Edge92 55 3876 June 4, 2021 at 9:31 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Flat Earther, and other conspiracy theories. Are they mostly atheists? Ferrocyanide 95 7348 April 26, 2021 at 3:56 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" ignoramus 121 21643 March 5, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Religious people in the medical field Foxaèr 35 7171 November 11, 2018 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Are religious people really afraid of death? Alexmahone 36 5115 July 3, 2018 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose