Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 1:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Judaism - What is judaism - When did it start?
Judaism - What is judaism - When did it start?
INTRODUCTION:
I often tell christians, muslims, mormons that they are jewish.
The reason is that I try to emphasize to these people that the foundation for their faith is the jewish culture and religion.
I don’t think that there is any way to escape that fact.

This means that Jesus is a jew, his parents are jews, his grandparents, sisters, brothers, cousins, uncles, aunts and plenty more are most likely jews.
He grew up in a jewish culture, which automatically means that he is going to know the version of hebrew of the time and he is going to get a religious education at some point.
Therefore, it is no surprise that he is going to build on that foundation as he starts up his own religion.

I don’t think that there was a singular jewish religion at the time of Jesus. It was fragmented.
The Bible mentions the Pharisees, Sadducees, and Essenes. I would not be surprised if there were more and I have no idea how long these sects have existed for.
We would need some written documentation where it states who the master leader of the pharisee movement was and what his ideas were.
I view christianity as just another sect of judaism.
In the case of christianity, we know that the master leader is suppose to be: Jesus.

Once the master leader is dead, then a power struggle takes place with his followers. Who is going to be the next leader?
It can happen that a split occurs.
In the Bible, we see evidence of it. There was also an extra biblical writing where one sect was urinating on another sect.

So anyway, I view religion like I view software.
At one point, Microsoft created Win NT. They improved on that source code and came out with Win 2000, then Win XP, Win Vista and so on.
These are just software versions. Some parts might be removed and new things might be added.

The same thing happens in the Linux world, the Mac OSX world, and so on.
It happens with TV, watches, XBox, circuit boards.

For me,
Judaism is Judaism v1.0
Christianity is Judaism v2.0
Islam is Judaism v3.0
Mormonism is Judaism v4.0

Each new leader(s) comes along and improves the product, he removes the bugs, adds new feature and goes into mass production.

THE PROBLEM:
I encounter people who write this to me even when I explain that to them:

Smedley Butler:
Judaism ≠ Christianity. The religion of Abraham, Issac, Jacob, Moses, Joshua, Caleb, Samuel, or King David, can no more be called “Judaism” than a Jehovah’s Witness missionary today could be compared to the Peter, Paul, or Martin Luther.

Me:
Yes, their religion would be a form of judaism, since they came from that particular culture. You can call it the religion of the hebrews. Each culture has developed their own religion over time, but religion is not static. It evolves over time.

Smedley Butler:
In 33AD there weren’t Jewish people. There were no Jews. There were ethnic people from the tribe of Judah, and Benjamin, and Levi.
There were Judean’s which is about as specific as saying someone is “American”. There were those that followed the Torah, who were from all of the original 12/13 tribes, from those that followed the Torah, there were emerging cults with the Pharisees and Sadducees taking prominence.

Jesus was not a Jew, he was a Israelite, of the House/Tribe of Judah.

The idea that Christianity is Jewish in background is not accurate. It’s like saying Water is an offshoot of Pepsi.

People have conflated Temple worshippers/Torah adherents in Jesus’ day with the Scribes, Sadducees, Pharisees, and their more modern, (and, mostly unrelated) Talmudic Jewish

Me:
What was the religion of these ethnic groups: tribe of Judah, and Benjamin, and Levi?

Who wrote the tanakh and what was their religion?

CONCLUSION:
Let’s discuss.

Messages In This Thread
Judaism - What is judaism - When did it start? - by Ferrocyanide - November 25, 2021 at 10:53 pm
RE: Judaism - What is judaism - When did it start? - by Foxaèr - November 25, 2021 at 10:57 pm
RE: Judaism - What is judaism - When did it start? - by Ranjr - November 15, 2022 at 5:50 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Judaism: Blood Libel Richerd83 34 2009 July 11, 2020 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  My take on Christianity - Judaism - Islam Mystic 32 6776 November 14, 2018 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  Islam versus Judaism KerimF 22 7646 June 29, 2017 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: KerimF
  Did you know the movies God's Not Dead 1 and 2 did well at Box Office? Renug 12 4560 May 30, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  How to start a new sect/new religion for dummies. Brian37 28 4293 April 11, 2017 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  How to learn Judaism sshoaib 11 1988 October 5, 2016 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Polytheistic Origins of Christianity/Judaism Eel_LahjicK 2 949 August 16, 2014 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  If you wish to start your own religion Ronga 4 1688 November 18, 2013 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  No Judaism Sub-Forum? Moog Player 8 3774 July 10, 2013 at 4:37 am
Last Post: max-greece
  Videos and texts about the foundation of Judaism and Christianity viocjit 1 1164 June 15, 2013 at 11:44 am
Last Post: CleanShavenJesus